Underclocking

Thread: Underclocking

Underclocking

I know it's possible to overclock a computer to increase performance, but is it possible to underclock it?

I know it is because athlons run a lot better if you underclock them by about 50 Mhz, mainly cooler, more reliable for a miner speed loss,

just found this on google

Then I hit upon a novel idea, Lets see how LOW I can go! I set the Abits' softmenu to 2x66mhz and 1.30V and crossed my fingers. Success! It posted at 133mhz and booted into windows perfectly. At this speed the L2 cache is disabled so its performance is just a little sluggish. Boy what an UNDERachievement!
    got it from http://www.overclockers.com/tips05/

just search for underclocking on google
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Why would you want to underclock a processor though? I've always ran AMD processors and overclocked them without a problem. Actually I've noticed more problems running "under" the speed than over. Then again I liquid cooled my system.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

It's really only worth it for the people who just buy there pc ready built from a superstore, in that case they just get the bog standard heatsink and fan, probably no case fans either cause of this the cpu runs at 50-60 degrees, not nice and cool in the 30's.

like i say if you underclock by 50 Mhz or so you get a big heat reduction and very little power loss.
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

like i say if you underclock by 50 Mhz or so you get a big heat reduction and very little power loss.
    Why not just buy a couple of fans? It'd be worth it performance wise... and it doesn't cost hardly anything. I've picked up 70+80mm case fans for like $5.00. Now... if you want something super quiet... you are going to pay the extra $10.

there are way better sites to find this stuff... but i'm just using this as an example of how cheap it is.

http://www.astak.com/new/product2.asp?pd=CF

or look on www.pricewatch.com I've found them on there for $1.00... you just pay shipping.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Dead Man Walking
    Im not sure why anybody would want to underclock their machine but it definately is a good question. I agree with phishphreek on the just buying extra fans. Gota say its kinda refreshing to see something brand new though.

Hey everyone,
    Well actually if u have a store bought computer you can't even enter the Bio's. I think only the Dell computers can. But anyways you still can't underclock, Why becasue your computer is already at the minimum (e.x There will be a little box that say 130 (minimum) - 165 (max) and at the bottom of it u will see another little box that is says 130, if clicked, and u put 128 it will beep meaning that it is at the minimum) I would tell u how to get there but all the Bio's are different. But I will give you an idea. Most computers when started up u hit Del (delete) and u should enter the bio's but if u can't the computers Bios features are locked ;-(. Then look for (old computers go into Advanced/ Frequency/Voltage control or Advanced Chipset Features and u will see it) (New Computers just go into Frequency/Voltage control). As I Said your computer may not be able to underclock, But u can always overclock (If your computer can reach the Bios, I know for a fact that computer that you build can enter the bios, because of the motherbored they put in). Like as phishphreek80 said Go for overclocking and buy fans, but what will be better then buying a fan, is buying a better cpu fan runs for $18.00 (U.S), But remember by overclocking your CPU loses it's reliability (even if u buy the best fans/liquid cooling) Well thats it!!
    hope I help u!!!!!!!
    Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Thread moved from Antionline: How Do I? to General Chit Chat.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by d00dz Attackin
    Hey everyone,
    Well actually if u have a store bought computer you can't even enter the Bio's. I think only the Dell computers can. But anyways you still can't underclock, Why becasue your computer is already at the minimum
    I wasn't gonna touch this because like everyone says.. why bother underclocking when you can just buy fans but now I have to say something....

d00dz Attackin I apologize beforehand if this is insulting.... but do you have a clue? If you have a computer you can't get into the BIOS of.... well you should prolly be shot... Yes a lot of companies do display splash screens so that you can't see the keyboard shortcut to enter the BIOS, but any computer u have has an accessible BIOS... It may also be password protected.. (I remember the first computer my parents brought home was password protected at the BIOS... strictly because entering the BIOS voided the warranty).. All you have to do is A) Call them.. they'll give you the password or B) reset the BIOS to it's defaults and voila no more password. So yeah anyways.. you can access any computers BIOS.

As for your second comment "you still can't underclock". Bullshit. The speed of a process is what it's designed to run at... not what it has to be run at.. hence over/under clocking. You have a multiplier and a bus frequency. Let's say I have a motherboard that supports 800Mhz - 1.4Ghz.. and I have a 1.2Ghz chip in... (This isn't what I have.. so i'm gonna make up numbers here.. but it's all the same).. to Get 1.2Ghz. I would have to have a 266Mhz Bus Freq. and a Multiplier of 4.5 (266 x 4.5 = 1197Mhz) Well if I drop my multiplier down to 4... and leave the Bus Freq. alone.. then I'm going to have roughly 1Ghz (266 x 4 = 1064Mhz). Viola .. I've underclocked my processor and if I wanted to I could go even lower becase my board supports down to 800Mhz.

Anyways... I really had to comment.. because I'm getting tired of seeing ridiculous answers..

[EDIT]
    As a side note after finishing reading your post.. it's BIOS.. not bio's.. It's not a biography of some sort. it's a Basic Input Output System)
    [/EDIT]