Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh!

Uh oh!

There seems to be some intelligence reports that the French may have helped senior Iraqi officials flee to Syria. If this pans out the French might have some explaining to do. Heres the article.

Article

I can't say that's not true but I doubt. What France have to gain with that (if it's true) ? Nothing. A french diplomat can be in the dark side but you know everybody can buy false passport.

I also heard that US have sold weapons to Saddam (fragmentation bombs for example) in keeping with Ronald Reagan then George H. W. Bush. The CIA is tracking the merchant and that's what he says.

What France have to gain with that (if it's true) ? Nothing.
    Well, this should be true, unless the "French diplomat" was offered a substantial ammount of money, and we all know how much money Saddam and his punks have dont we. They did just pull off the biggest bank heist in world history. What if it was in response to the U.S. going ahead without the consent of the French government? Your right though all politicians are susceptible bribes and corruption, and these type come a dime a dozen.

What if it was in response to the U.S. going ahead without the consent of the French government?
    I don't think or my gouvernment is worth than I think. Imagine the consequence if it's true. I doubt it's true because if France was against the war this was not because we are for Saddam but because we don't like the attitude of Bush.

They did just pull off the biggest bank heist in world history
    Yes. Last days in France we've got a TV report with an old iraqui minister who explain that in the Saddam's bank (gouvernment bank?) they have the money of all the country and they always pay cash. So if Saddam is always alive he's rich even if the iraqui money is zero. So he can go and pay for his freedom, in Saudi Arabia for example.

I don't think or my gouvernment is worth than I think. Imagine the consequence if it's true. I doubt it's true because if France was against the war this was not because we are for Saddam but because we don't like the attitude of Bush.
    Well, our government is finding all sorts of interesting things inside Iraq including French made missiles, and many documents showing various interactions between Iraq and France leading up to the war. This isnt nessecarily an odd thing though, considering the French government has always had fairly close relations with Iraq. To be fair they are no doubt finding some of the old weapons we provided them during the Iran-Iraq war too. We will just have to see what pans out. If there is one thing ive learned from living in the U.S. though, is that my government always knows much more than they let on, despite all the leaks that you will inevitably recieve on any major issue.

I wish the Amercains would stop picking on the French just because they didn't want to go to war with "So-Damned Insane"(just a little nick name for him that's easier to spell). I remember the UN being against the war, it's an illegal one. In a sense US is just as bad as Iraq in the sense that they both don't listen to a damned thing the UN says. Canada didn't join the war because the UN was against it. I now the UN seems to be failing like the L or Nations did years ago, but we should fight that faliure and try to give it respect and strength.
    Also, Iraq got a lot of it's weapons from the US it's self and were the ones that help get So-Damned in power. So leave the french alone.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Legal war!? We haven't had a legal war since Korea. Even Vietnam was a 'police action'. Our leaders have been going behind our backs for far too long. It's time to make a stand. Our economy is still in recession, despite Bush's promises of a 'war-stimulated economy.' The reason war helped the economy during WWII is because it provided jobs. Sad, but true. Now, with the dominance of electronic banking, money doesn't really exsist anymore.

The best weapon is knowledge. Educate yourselves, and we have a solid chance of making things right.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

How do you define a 'legal war' ??

According to informed opinion the "war" against Iraq did have legal backing, because of previous UN resolutions. You'd need to get a bunch of international lawyers together to get their different views on this.

From a technical point of view it was not a "war" as nobody declared war. No country has officially declared war for about 40 years afaik, because there is no point in doing so.
    On moral grounds you can argue both ways, but that is not the same as stating it is 'illegal' under international law. If the final US/UK/Spanish resolution had come to the vote, and been lost, then this legal position would have been undermined.

The fact that France was going to veto any resolution obviously prevented this happening.

France is guilty as charged over this, as it had massive trading links with Iraq (oil, missiles etc.) which it now stands to loose. Of course it is not the only country to trade with obnoxious regime (the US has been doing it for years), but in this case France has been caught red handed.

Iraq got a lot of it's weapons from the US it's self and were the ones that help get So-Damned in power. So leave the french alone.
    Well the first part of this statement is true, however we did not help Saddam get in power. You could argue we helped him stay in power, but only if the Iranians would have defeated him. And who are you to tell me leave the french alone, this forum is on ethics and morals, and my post is more than valid! No offense Ishbar. If you werent addressing me personally, then i take it back.

I remember the UN being against the war, it's an illegal one. In a sense US is just as bad as Iraq in the sense that they both don't listen to a damned thing the UN says.
    Wars are neither "legal" nor "illegal", because, at this stage of history, there is no
    world government to declare so. A war is a breakdown in diplomatic relations
    between nations that gives one or the other or both the excuse to resort to force.

Since neither has jurisdiction over the other, the conflict is not settled by law enforcement, ie. police and courts, but by force. War is, and always has been, extra-legal
    since there is no legal structure or government above individual nations.

A war may be legally or illegally waged according to the laws of the participants,
    that is, the USA might be guilty of violating its own laws in the way it wages war,
    but can only be punished by others if it loses the war.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.