Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP1 Causes Severe Slowdown!

Windows XP SP1 Causes Severe Slowdown!

Anyone notice this problem? Apparently, if you install Windows XP and update it to Service Pack 1, you may experience some dramatic slowdown.

Here's most of an article from Computerworld:

"Microsoft Corp. has acknowledged and patched a glitch with its Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) update that can cause system slowdowns, but it has yet to make widely available its still-developing fix.

Because of changes made in SP1 to Windows XP's memory management system, programs that affect large blocks of memory may take up to 10 times longer to load on a system running SP1 than on one without, Microsoft said. The company detailed the problem on its support Web site in a recently posted Knowledge Base article, "Programs Run Slower After You Install Windows XP SP-1."

The bug affects both the Professional and Home Edition versions of Windows XP. SP1, released in September, includes fixes for a number of security flaws and bugs discovered since Windows XP's release.

For now, the only official way to obtain Microsoft's fix is to contact the company's Product Support Services department. Although Microsoft charges customers for some support calls, customers requesting this patch won't be charged, according to a company spokeswoman.

Because the problem is rare, Microsoft has chosen not to offer the patch for download on its support site, the spokeswoman said."

This patch took my logon time from about 3 mintues to about 10 seconds. Download it now, it might make a difference:
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

hmmm...how about a valid link instead? no offence..but I don't like trojans, so I'm not gona take the chance.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I will vouch for this. Here are two links about this problem
    http://www.warp2search.net/article.p...thread&order=0
    http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=11377
    I still just downloaded the fix from warp instead, I have more trust in them, even though both of the files appear to be the same.

Heres MS:s info on this bug: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q815411

Previously, they would allow you to download their fix, now you have to contact customer support, yeah... and that aint nooooo hassle...

Oh, btw... http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=241767
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

The conspiracy theorist in me would suggest that the Windows XP service pack attempts to detect if you've pirated WinXP, and creates an artificial slowdown (games have been doing this for *ages*)

When you contact support, they log your details, so they can inform the relevant authorities of any company with enough unregistered copies.

Relax, guys. I have a retail version of XP, and the zip is legit. I'm not a freekin scriptkiddy, although I understand where you're coming from. If you feel more comfortable downloading it from warp, go right ahead. The zip I posted is the same exact thing though.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

I just installed WinXP Pro today that includes SP1 and I have no slowdown at all. Am I missing something? I am gonna try the file and see if it makes it any faster

this slowdown bug is caused by security update 811493, just uninstall it and you are back in business

I installed the patch, and there is no difference really. Thanks for the heads up though

I am using Win XP Home Edition with my Dell PC P4 2.0 Ghz & 512 RDRAM. I noticed that after so many Windows update my system slow down drastically. I don't know whether it is caused by Windows update or so many other softwares that I installed. E.g. I clicked on IE & it tooks about 20 to 40 seconds for the browser to open. This is damn slow & quite embarrassing if compared to my brother's P3 PC.

I agree with Noia. I prefer a valid link to Microsoft's official website instead of downloading it here. So, please kindly provide the link. Many thanks for letting us know about this. Yes, I've heard about calling the company's product support service but I am not living in USA. How to contact them?