IE and input type
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE and input type

Banned

IE and input type

This probably has been posted/reported before, but anyways...
    I was writing some php and needed a form, but I screwed up...heh
    Here's the problem:
    I needed a form, so I wrote this little code:
    Code:
    <html>
    <form>
    <input type>
    </form>
    </html>
    I messed up the <input type>-part, but hadn't noticed... I saved the file and tried to open it using Notepad. I right-clicked it and explorer crashed... OK, that can happen... tried again.. same thing... I uploaded it to my ftp-server and tried to open it... IE crashed...

Here's the file. **Warning* This WILL make IE crash.. *

As far as I can tell, IE can't handle a faulty <input type>... you could put whatever you want there (<input type Internet Explorer is a piece of bloatware>) and it crashes...

Other browsers seem to be smarter and can handle it...

Can anyone confirm this? I'm on Win 2k with IE 6...
    And could anyone save that file locally and right-click it? It almost made me reboot...

I can definately confirm it.
    I'm running XP Pro w/ IE 6

I clicked your link and IE crashed. It autoreopened IE and tried to browse to the page again and just kinda hung so I clicked the home button and it loaded my start page, but wouldn't respond so I let it sit and saved the file to my computer and attempted right clicking. The right click was fine, I could go to TextPad, NotePad, Visual Studio .Net and those all worked fine. but when I hit open, it crashed IE again.. then the one that had gone back to the start page crashed and took all other open IE windows with it.

Very interesting and nice to know.... I've never seen/heard of this problem before.

[EDIT]
    I ran a search on google and a short article on The Inquirer. The title Internet Explorer's Dumbest Bug Ever Revealed
    [/EDIT]

This bug has recently been up here on AO in this thread: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243283
    Check it out
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

Banned
    a NULL pointer dereference bug in Microsoft Shell Light-Weight Utility Library ("shlwapi.dll").
    Ahhh.. I get it now

That was a nice try Negative

Banned
    OK...question.. I was working on this registration script... The wrong <input type> code still is in there (the input box at the bottom), but this one doesn't make IE crash... Anyone? :/

Original Code

Code:
    <form action="Registration.php" method=post>
    Requested Nickname: <input type=text name="nick" size=20>

Your e-mail: &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <input type=text name="mail" size=40>

Requested Password: <input type=password name="pass" size=10>

Confirm Password: &nbsp &nbsp <input type=password name="pass2" size=10>

<div align=center><input type=submit name="Submit" value="Send"> &nbsp <input type=reset name="Reset" value="Reset">

<form>
    <input type>
    </form>
    Try it like this and see what happens:

Code:
    <form>
    <input type>
    </form>
    <form action="Registration.php" method=post>
    Requested Nickname: <input type=text name="nick" size=20>

Your e-mail: &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp <input type=text name="mail" size=40>

Requested Password: <input type=password name="pass" size=10>

Confirm Password: &nbsp &nbsp <input type=password name="pass2" size=10>

<div align=center><input type=submit name="Submit" value="Send"> &nbsp <input type=reset name="Reset" value="Reset">

Simple answer.. I can't tell you the reasoning behind the answer.. but I can give you the answer..

You are finished the page and now have <body> </body> as long as the code is enclosed in the body tags the page won't crash IE... at least that's what I just tested on my system and that's how it worked.. as soon as I added <body> </body> it stopped it from crashing.

On IRC, you said the modified code made it crash... my best guess is IE sees a valid FORM tag and ignores the invalid markup on the bottom because of the way the program interprets the HTML.

Banned
    Well... htregz' suggestion indeed does work... Crash...