SYSTECH Personal FIREWALL Questions

Thread: SYSTECH Personal FIREWALL Questions

Question SYSGATE Personal FIREWALL Questions

I had Sysgate Personal Firewall installed for a change. I like certain features available in this firewall.

However, I find that if you are using Win XP & switched to different user without logging off, you will not be able to control the Sysgate Personal Firewall. For example, if you wanted to open Kazaa, the firewall will prompt you the question wheter you want to allow Kazza to access the internet in the first user you logged in. I think this is Sysgate's weakness. I hope they will change this. Am I protected if I switched to different user in Win XP because I can't see Sysgate Firewall activated once I logged in into different user?

Other questions that I need to know :

1. Whenever I log in to Win XP, the firewall will ask me whether I want to allow Windows Explorer to broadcast to 224.0.0.55 ? What does that mean? What IP address is that? Am I hacked?

2. I just received this message from the firewall:
    NDIS User Mode I/o Driver is being connected by the remote machine (IP address here) using local port 1049 (TD-POSTMAN - Tobit David Postman VPMN). Do you want to allow this program to access the network?

Who is Tobit David Postman? Am I hacked?

Thank you for answering my questions. I appreciate your helps very much.

Banned
    well, question no.1, if you didn't log off, then the firewall is still running. that is, the firewall will protect the other users regardless if that user install it or not. And, if that user didn't install the firewall, he will not see it.
    I'm not quite sure about your question no.2, so.... =P
    question no.3, there's a connection, if he is not authenticated, then you have a intruder here, just use your firewall to block him

Name: Unknown
    IP Address: 224.0.0.55
    Network: MCAST-NET

This is a multicast address and is used in addressing a group of IP devices

Registrant contact information is not available.

Information from NeoTracePro, just seems that Windows Explorer is connecting for some information or something, nothing to worry about.

For question 2) td-postman 1049/tcp Tobit David Postman VPMN
    This just seems to be a mail delivery service, so allow it if you want your email.

All in all, nothing to worry about

As for the whole firewall program, if you just re-start the program by going to Start/Programs ect, it should come up again.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy
    CooLL.Net

SORRY IT SHOULD BE READ AS SYSGATE PERSONAL FIREWALL

Im sure it's Sygate personal firewall, i use the same one. When you switch to another account, the firewall is stilling running, but you wont be able to remotely control it obviously because it's running the in the system tray of the account you just switched from.

However, I find that if you are using Win XP & switched to different user without logging off, you will not be able to control the Sysgate Personal Firewall.
    This can be annoying. When i am on my limited account, and i switch to my root account, sometimes i cant get what i want because i will not recieve a prompt for lets say IE. You just need to log in at another time, and be sure the other account has everything you want to be allowed to access the internet set in Sygate. That way the next time you switch users the firewall will just let you access whatever you have set it to let you access.

1. Whenever I log in to Win XP, the firewall will ask me whether I want to allow Windows Explorer to broadcast to 224.0.0.55 ? What does that mean? What IP address is that? Am I hacked?
    No,you shouldnt even need to let Windows Explorer access the internet, more often than not. I ususally get the same prompt when i do a search for "files and folders", thats just microsoft's offer to you for help from there site more than likely.

2. I just received this message from the firewall:
    NDIS User Mode I/o Driver is being connected by the remote machine (IP address here) using local port 1049 (TD-POSTMAN - Tobit David Postman VPMN). Do you want to allow this program to access the network?

Who is Tobit David Postman? Am I hacked?

Thank you for answering my questions. I appreciate your helps very much.
    You will get many of these prompts on your first day or so with Sygate, most of them are harmless windows programs trying to gain access to the net(blame bill for that)you are right in your thinking though, some might not be so harmless. Just monitor them, do a search on www.google.com for each app, and once you have trained Sygate, and have learned which each process & app is and does, all that noise will settle down, and you can comfortably begin to enjoy your firewall.

Hope that answers some of your questions with that Shakira.