Thread: Not Another Linux Tutorial

AO's Mr Grumpy

Not Another Linux Tutorial

I appreciate there are lots of tutorials on the site, but before I waste members time, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in a Linux tutorial based on Mandrake 8.0, covering approx 11-12 weeks work, this is not my original work but is my university Linux work that I have recently completed and would be an excellent introduction to anyone interested in Linux, complete with lecture,tutorial, lab notes and exercises-alas no solutions, that is where the work and the learning experience comes in. The course covers most of the basics up to networking. I will of course obtain permission from my lecturer and acknowledge his work .

I would like to see some information on the use of IDS on *nix systems. Primarily SNARE and Tripwire.

I cant speak for anyone but me, but i would personally like to see it. I never get tired of reading tut's, unless they are really horrible. with that jm459.

you should not even ask; post the tut, for sure someone will find it helpful

Hmmm, maybe a link might be good. I'd be willing to host it so you can link to it here. I am sure Negative will appreciate all non-original tutorials to be linked away from the Tutorials Forum. Contact me via PM or linuxguy99@adelphia.net

Jack

definately i am intrested ...... but as suggested link it all at once on the web than in parts on the forum
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Banned
    Just make sure not to violate any copy-rights

Thumbs up

Sounds great. I'm still kinda new at all this. My biggest problem is time. But I would like to take a look at it myself. Be careful about the copyright thing.

Freddy
    cybnut

text files are very very important u can't stop learning enough, sometimes i search for a couple hours for a good text file site, i have a collection of very good ones.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Not Another Linux Tutorial

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this, but to date I have not received any reply to my request for permission to use the lecture material, and as I believe it to be copyright have not included it. What I have included in one file (word document) is questions on practical excercises and the results, which are original as they were obtained by me and the work I carried out, and as there were no "given" answers my results are not guaranteed. As this is not a list of commands it is recommended that frequent use is made of the man pages in conjuntion with a Linux book, As stated previously it should give a flavour for Linux and would only be of benefit if the excercises are carried out. The version used was Mandrake 8.0 and please remember to change IP addresses etc for you own configurations.