Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help?!?!

Re: Sorry Kinda new at this

Originally posted here by spyderj21
    I have a Hp laptop I had a system password on it so when it booted you put the password in right. Ok I went to change the password from "mine" to nothing I typed the old password and just hit the enter key when it asked for a new one. Now when I try to boot it wants a password "mine" doesnt work niether does the enter key can you help?
    I've been through this before.. There are usually two different levels of passwords, user and admin, both can get you on the machine. Is the password prompt coming up before windowsME boots? or after?

Assuming it's after, and you don't know any other passwords,contact the manufacturer, or, jump the CMOS battery, I'm not sure if that'll work, it might even void the warrenty (in some cases) even void your warenty, so I'd strongly advise you contact your manufacturer, as they'll know what to do.

Good luck!

I've been through this before.. There are usually two different levels of passwords, User and Admin
    Not on ME. It does not operate on an NTFS scheme like NT variants. If he cannot log in, you can simply press ESC and it will let you in. If it's in the BIOS, then it needs to be reset. That can be done by removing the battery or by jumpers on the motherboard. Um, but since he does not know what a BIOS is, I would refer the computer to HP or another qualified technician... one wrong move in the BIOS or messing with the motherboard can render the whole thing useless.

CMOS

Actually SHE went into the computer and tried to find the CMOS or a jumper and couldn't since this is a laptop that we are dealing with one would assume that the parts are rather compact and alot harder to find than in a reg PC what I REALLY need is an internal diagram for a HP Pavillon N5290 then the problem would be solved If the password was after the Windows boot it would be an easy fix but this is a Master Code. I can't even change the boot order or I would get a KILLCMOS disk then VOILA problem solved nope this is a little more complex

You are on the right track, does it ask to boot from cd-rom if you have a cd-rom in the machine at bootup? If so make a bootable CD-rom with a cmos killer on it. If the boot order is set at C first then the easiest thing to do would be to remove the hard drive. Boot it then. I bet the sucker won't boot from the hard drive now. Of course some really security concious person may have set the other options at none. Then tear it apart and look for a jumper location with three prongs. it should be located near a battery the size of a quarter.