How do u block a port?

Thread: How do u block a port?

How do u block a port?

windows xp messenger service runs out of port 5050 and i hate those annoying pop up messenger services. i was wondering if anyone here knows how to block the port.

assuming it is YOUR box and not on a network

a) run a firewall either outpost, zonealarm, kerio, sygate or any other numer of ones available (search google or the AO forums for advice) for software solutions or whatever takes your fancy regarding hardware solutions (linux running smoothwall, IPchains/IPtables, or similar is good) etc and tell the firewall to specifically block port 5050
    b) turn off the messenger service in the admin section of XP (from memory go to control panel > admin > services)

should be enough... there are registry hacks to permanently turn off the messenger sevrive as well - don't recall what they are off the top of my head but a search on google should find them

Z
    [edit] PS instead of turning off messenger service you might also want to try looking for 'popup stoppers' on google there are tons of freeware progs that are good at stopping popups e.g. the proxomitron. Also you might want to have a look here

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

lots of useful info
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

XP has its own firewall embedded called ICF.
    Manies prefer to use free frw soft like ZoneAlarm, personnaly I'll give a chance to M$ (worth a try)

Here is the way to configure it:
    To activate ICF:

1. Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
    2. Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Alternatively, you can right–click My Network Places and then click Properties.)
    3. Right–click the connection used for the Internet, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and select the Protect my computer and network check box to turn on ICF. (This also makes the Settings button active, allowing you to configure advanced parameters.)

To create a new rule (if not: packets are dropped )
    1. Click Settings on the Advanced tab of the Properties dialog box for your Internet connection, then click Add.
    2. In the Service Settings window, type a description of the service.
    3. Type the IP address.
    4.Type the TCP &/or UDP port
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

A firewall is the most common way, but the most effective is to shut the ports down manually. All ports that are open are related to a certain service, to shut these ports down manually including messenger, type services.msc in the command prompt, and disable all the services you dont want running. I would definately follow that link to blackviper, so you can familiarize yourself with each service.

Banned
    go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> fing "Messenger Service" -> left click ....coose properties ,,...... choose disable....and under hat choose none or stop i duont remember .....

The most common way to block ports would be to install a firewall. I would perfer Zonealarm that you can get from www.download.com from cnet.

k thanx, i bet all those guys make alot of money selling those cheap programs blocking the messenger service.

networker.. XP's built in firewall is .... well... better than nothing but I wouldn't trust my data to it for very long - I'd say it's a stop gap at best... it only blocks incoming ports not outgoing and ok you can configure it as you've indicated... but there are better solutions that are free (see previous post)

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Alternatively if u want to stop all messages..try stopping messenger service itself.....

B'cos with firewall if the user comes on some dynamic port he/she would still be able to send u a Message....

Regards

Kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****