Thread: Fizzer: Fast-spreading Virus / Worm

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Exclamation Fizzer: Fast-spreading Virus / Worm

This was mentioned previously as a Kazaa Worm here

However, this is MUCH more than just a Kazaa worm and it is rapidly spreading this morning. This is a multi-faceted virus / worm that spreads via SMTP email and Kazaa. It also shuts down most antivirus programs and processes, opens a remote connection and initiates an HTTP server on the infected machine, establishes a connection to both IRC and AIM and awaits further instructions, etc.

Most, if not all, of the AV companies have released updated files to detect and block this threat. Everyone should update their AV software as soon as possible to make sure they don't become a statistic.

Here is a link to some more information on this threat:

McAfee

Trend Micro

Great Post thanks for the info and lookout.

is it me, or have i seen more and more multi-medium virii/worms running around... it seems to me that it is now popular for worms to use more than one service to spread/propogate...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

[glowpurple]Thanks for the warning![/glowpurple]

Thanks for the info

Thanks TB

another link to check Symantec .. I fond some early info on Support's Forum (but the info on sophos and symantec at the time was it wasn't that bad.. hmmm story changed fast ..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    hear is anuther, Network Assoiates*

www.nai.com

hear it gives u a bit of info... Aliases Removal Instructions Method of infetion symptoms Virus Characteristics Virus Information Risk Assessment

Its pritty impressive...what Fizzer does that is... this page is worth a look...