Thread: Stop Policeware

Banned

Stop Policeware

Stop Policeware

http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

{Get out of my system} The entertainment industry and the consumer have been fighting ever since it became possible to download stuff for free. Recently, the "big boys" got behind a bill that would allow "policeware" to be integrated into personal computers. In a nutshell, it would restrict copyrighted material from being played on that specific machine (music, movies, etc.). If you don't agree with this new bill, then go to this site and find out how you can help spread the word. "The Institute shall encourage and support the development of one or more computer programs, protocols, or other software, such as the World Wide Web Consortium's P3P program, capable of being installed on computers, or computer networks, with Internet access that would reflect the users preferences for protecting personally-identifiable or other sensitive, privacy-related information, and automatically execute the program, once activated, without requiring user intervention."

Source :

http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/daily/20011119.html

Wow, i didn't hear that they we're going to integrate policeware with computers. Even though they have a point since it is copyrighted, i like to get my music for free, i'll be sure to spread the word.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Isnt windows doing this already along with most service packs?

I mean it being spyware (oooops, i meant policeware)

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Banned
    hmm didnt think of that .... thtas why i dont have any service pack installed .... still now u can prevent those things ... what if those systems or w/e come out with every computer and digital equipment we buy.... NIGHTMARE....

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    oh you mean like the fact that all new mobiles have voice, cams, and some with gps will come out soon? Some call it fashion, i call it big wannabe brother.

I am indeed paranoid (my cell phone is one of these very old big blue ugly alcatels).

The service packs are needed so the systems run more smoothly, but they also limite what you "may" do on your computers. Let it not sound like an anti M$ rant here, but thats why i really prefer open source. No matter what protection you take on a M$ system, M$ can always get info from your machines. (im talking bout user client boxes here, not special security servers).

I do trust applications like adaware upto a certain extend, but i would never trust any antispy ware 100% if its source were not open.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Indeed, M$ service packs are necessary. But they are a lot like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re (or M$) is gonna get.

Banned
    im gonna change in a few months to DSL ...then im gonna get Linux... .... im current on AOL ....