Windows XP command line stuff

Thread: Windows XP command line stuff

Dead Man Walking

Windows XP command line stuff

I am looking to either find a comprehensive lsit of windows xp cmommand line commands or put one together. I know the basic ones like "IPCONFIG,PING,ECT ECT" but was wondering if anybody would give me a hand getting a list out together. When im done if enough intrest is expressed i will post the completed list here in document for all to use. Thanx in advance.

try searching google.. you will get what you want

Dead Man Walking
    I allready hit google and half the stuff i found doesnt work. Ive been around here long enough to know that i should try that before i post. Im just looking for some input here. If you dont have any to add dont waste antionlines resources trying to be cute and get yourself posts

If you dont have any to add dont waste antionlines resources trying to be cute and get yourself posts
    I googled 'Windows XP Command Reference cmd' and this was in the top spot:

Command-line reference A-Z

Dead Man Walking
    Okay obviously Im in the wrong place. I ask for help and i keep getting the same stuff. As i said in my second post. I ALLREADY used google. The link you posted power toad. I went there before i ever started this thread. Most of the commands listed on that page do NOT work. But never mind. screw it. I will give the two people who have responded to me time to see this and in 24 hours i will delete the thread cause there is no point in having it up if people arent going to read what i have allready written.

Okay obviously Im in the wrong place. I ask for help and i keep getting the same stuff. As i said in my second post. I ALLREADY used google. The link you posted power toad. I went there before i ever started this thread. Most of the commands listed on that page do NOT work. But never mind. screw it. I will give the two people who have responded to me time to see this and in 24 hours i will delete the thread cause there is no point in having it up if people arent going to read what i have allready written.
    You ****ing idiot . That was a comprehensive list of commands you can use, if you bothered actually looking through it, it also has some other stuff that while aren't exact commands are stuff you can do through the command line (batch files etc). Also, just because they don't work on your computer doesn't mean they're not valid commands. If you are going to put a list together yourself, that reference is your best bet. So don't throw **** back in people's faces when they give you valid answers to your questions.

well Zombie... I have to agree with powertoad on this one... maybe not quite so vitriolically though. I can tell you that those commands do work.. but as powertoad points out some of them are batch file commands and some if I'm not mistaken can only be run on XP Pro e.g. gpupdate. just because it doesn't run on your system doesn't mean to say it doesn't run!

Oh and incidentally (just a personal bugbear of mine which I'm now going to share with you) I suspect you actually mean etc when you say ECT.... etc is a foreshortened form of the latin 'et cetera' meaning 'and so on'

Z
    [edit]
    oh and one other thing.. being as the commands we're talking about are listed on an official MS site... don't you think it'd be silly of MS to put up commands for Xp that don't work???? I doubt even MS are that daft
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

That link powertoad provided is the prolly the most comprehensive list you will find.
    You could also get a o-reilly pocket refferance, they are good and not that expensive, I use them all the time.
    The reason some of the commands don't work is because they are resource kit commands and you would have to obtain and install the resource kit first.