Thread: Processor Heat

Processor Heat

I have a motherboard that lets me look at the current CPU temp, COre Voltage, ect. It says that my cpu is running at 103 degrees farenheit. Is that about right.

Also I would like to overclock my processor by 20% or so. Whats my alternatives other than liquid cooling my case.

My current set up is a P4 2.8 with a heatsink and a fan on top of the heatsink on a ASUS P4C800 deluxe. I have one fan cooling the Hard Drive. One fan in the side window, and two fans on the back.
    =

It says that my cpu is running at 103 degrees farenheit. Is that about right.

From searching searching the net, 103 degrees farenheit doesnt seem abnormal.
    Here is a link that shows a bunch of people posting what their temps are running at. From what i can tell most people are going by celsius. I guess its a matter of preference though.

All i can say is www.overclockers.com has a wealth of information on different cooling techniques, and is a top notch recommendation when overclocking is concerned.

Hope i was helpful. with all that cheyenne1212.

thanks for that link. I look over there at the overclockers website to check out the cooling techniques. I'm just wanting to make sure that my $300 CPU doesnt' blow up after I increase the rate on it.

Thanks
    =

Cant blame you for that.

I seem to remember that P4's like to run hot anyway don't they? It's AMD chips that need uber-cooling.

PIII & P4's monitor there tempeture and if the CPU exceed 135 degrees the system will shut down...or a least that is what I have read.

Yeah, P4s usually run real hot, or at least mine do, ha! And a bit about 100 seems fine since ive seen some be a bit hotter than yours and work fine.

Dead Man Walking
    Ive got an AMD 1.3ghz duron that usualy runs at about 103 to 105 with only the cpu fan and hdd fan. To the best of my knowlege the tempratue monitoring isnt in the processor itts in BIOS and you can adjust the shutdown temp. Atleast i can on mine.

There ya got it..... My two cents worth

Theres no option in the bios to change the shutdown temp on the processor. I guess what I might eventually do is just go ahead and experiment with liquid cooling to see if I can get my temp down to around at least 80 then try to overclock.

Anybody here know of any good liquid cooling products.
    =

A diode in PIII and P4's monitor the CPU temp. Some BIOS allow "you" to view the temperature.