Modem on RH8

Thread: Modem on RH8

Question Modem on RH8

Please help me with this.

I'am a newbie to the wonderful world of LINUX. Got my hands on a set of Red Hat 8 CDs and installed it.

Everythings working fine except my modem..its an internal modem ....i asked a LINUX guru at my place of wrk he said tht internal modems dont wrok with LINUX and i hv to make some kernel (gimme a brk i'm just a newbie)...i some how went to the manufacturers website and downloaded this rpm..and followed the instructions to install it:

http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral...ERS.html#linux

still my modem does not work

poor me ..can anybody help me with this ..btw my modem is a dlink modem with a motorola sm56 controller..if tht helps

thks in advance

SAM

p.s. I dunno if this is the correct forum to post stuff like this..pls excuse my ignorance if its not

Banned
    Go to this site and download the ScanModem tool. It will identify the chipset of your modem which is what is really important, not the manufacturer or the model. http://www.linmodems.org/

Once that tool identifys which modem chipset you have, go to the bottom of the page and find out if that chipset is supported. Chances are it is. Especially with RH8. Good luck!

Thks for the tip will try out

thks for the tip friend

will chk it out

I tried out and this is wht i got

UPDATE=2003 May 13
    No devfsd.conf file sound, indicated absense of the devfsd daemon package
    for device file system suuport

cant make head or tail of it

can u pls help