msoft and business plans

Thread: msoft and business plans

Unhappy msoft and business plans

In thinking about the monster's previous practices, once again I see a trend.

Now w2k3 is offering massive disk array or cluster support (san etc) and it seems to me that they always wait to see others develop a market, reach a point of solid customer base. What happens next is the dark empire then copies the functionality, wraps it into the new nos release and advertises it as a new idea. Then those companies who built the concept must compete against the emperor and his legions just to keep market share.

There are other examples.

<looks over shoulder>
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Kinda like with MSN, i cant turn on the tv without that stupid butterfly man right in my face, and the list goes on.

I'm hardly the greatest supporter of Microsoft, but unless the other companies have patented their ideas then they are up for grabs by any company in a free market economy - that's what competition is all about.

Yes, MS do copy other ideas and rebrand them as their own (DOS being the one that really started it, followed by Windows), but at the end of the day they are a company out to make money against their competitors, not a philanthropic charity giving everything away for free.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

pwaring- Does this mean you believe the EU should not be taking msoft to court?

Originally posted here by gold eagle
    pwaring- Does this mean you believe the EU should not be taking msoft to court?
    I believe they should be taking them to court over anti-competitive practices, such as integrating IE with Windows to such an extent that it is difficult for other companies (Netscape, Opera etc.) to compete - such product tie-ins are generally illegal in the UK (not sure about Europe, but I think they have similar rules).

However, I don't agree with taking MS to court if they have simply copied ideas - unless such ideas are covered by patents, just as I would disagree with OpenOffice.org being taking to court for copying the idea of an office suite from Microsoft (who probably copied it from Lotus, who probably copied it from someone else etc.).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

ah - Thanks for the clarification. Logical.

Possibly then, msoft is just too big these days for govts to stomach.