Gtk-Gnutella/X problem

Thread: Gtk-Gnutella/X problem

er0k

Gtk-Gnutella/X problem

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    er0k@Anaconda:/usr/local/bin$ 03/05/13 20:58:45 (WARNING): adns_do_transfer: EOF (read)

tis the problem i get whenever i try to run gtk-gnutella. Im running slack 9 with gcc 3.3.2 i have heard of problems witht his gcc version, but i think its an X problem with gtk's attempts to interface not being able to connect? Anyone ever had a similar problem? I tried irc.freenode.net #gtk-gnutella but they couldnt help, i also tried the FAQ at gtk-gnutella.sourceforge.net i believe that is the link, and that had nothing X specific. Could someone maybe explain to me why this is being caused? Im running the latest version of Gtk-Gnutella.

Btw, Gtk-Gnutella is a peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing application for those of you who dont know, and runs off of GTK+/Glade/Qt in a UNIX environment, this is nothing to do with windows so if you get the misconception that it is, don't post anything windows related as many people in my previous threads have done so. Thanks

It seems to be as if you are trying to start gtk-gnutella as root on a different user's display. Even root may (usually) not use a x-session owned by an other user.

For security-reasons the user has to allow others explicitely the usage of his x-session. This can be done with the command "xhost".

For more information type: man xhost

er0k
    tried the before, no dice.

Pardon?

er0k
    i fixed it, it wasnt accessing X because the file ownership wasnt set right.