Thread: WarLinux,WarBSD

WarLinux,WarBSD

Hi guys,

I believe some of you already tried "WarLinux" before and this time BSD just have WarBSD and if you would like to try it and would like to test it in positive way I've got the link http://digiflux.org/warbsd/

Cheers

annya
    Not an image or image does not exist!

This looks sweet. I'll have to try it out. Once I graduate I'll have more time to get back into some more hackering/programming.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    I have a question regarding BSD :s

I'll admitt i have not experience in BSD whatsoever. I once went to linuxiso.org and downloaded FreeBSD 5. The download took me 5 days (greek ISP dialup quality) and i put it on a cd. The installation took ages with a load of errors. Once it was setup, it was total chaos. I am familiar with this flavour in general as in Linux. I get along with Linux without any GUI or such. I talked to a bsd guru who told me that it freeBSD 5 was indeed very buggy, and that i should go for freeBSD 4.8 which i intented to do. I have not done it yet since another 5 day downoad scares the **** outta me.

Now then, my question is..... would it be wiser to actually (as a first timer) get freeBSD 4.8 or could i lets say get this warBSD and start from there? Is warBSD something for advanced users or could i get along with it (ofcourse i will be rtfm all the way), just wandering.

Cheers everyone.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Just Another Geek
    instronics: I don't really know what warlinux/warbsd is but looking at the home page the bsd version is based on picobsd. Picobsd is just a really small bsd install (something similar to linux-on-a-floppy).

So if you want to learn BSD go for the Freebsd-4.8. It's the latest stable release and it's a fully blown OS with all the bells and whistles.

Freebsd-5.0 is also known as -CURRENT. It's were all the new and exciting new features get developed and tested. As such you will run into trouble upgrading&rebuilding it, as new stuff gets added.

You can also wait a couple of months as the Freebsd team gets 5.0 ready to be released as the next stable version.

For more information about the releases check this:
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html

Freebsd handbook (lots of info!!):
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/index.html
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank you SirDice for your reply. I will get 4.8 and mess with that before i attempt to get a minimal version. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Cheers.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by instronics
    Thank you SirDice for your reply. I will get 4.8 and mess with that before i attempt to get a minimal version. Your help is deeply appreciated.
    Forgot to mention:

You can download just 2 floppy images, boot from them and install the rest straight from the Internet. That way you only download what you need. But an ISO image maybe handy to have around

Oh yeah. You only need the first image. The rest isn't needed.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I will get the whole thing, i wanna see it all

Cheers.

Originally posted here by SirDice
    instronics: I don't really know what warlinux/warbsd is but looking at the home page the bsd version is based on picobsd. Picobsd is just a really small bsd install (something similar to linux-on-a-floppy).
    WarLinux or WarBSD is "main intended use is for systems administrators that want to audit and evaluate their wireless network installations. Should be handy for wardriving also." So if you don't have "wireless tool" installed on your Linux/BSD Laptop (I haven't try it on pc desk), you will be dissapointed or even you have Linux/BSD Laptop and you don't have "wireless tool working" as soon as you pop in WarLinux/WarBSD CD... it will be useless.
    And please use it in positive way and be wise.. otherwise you will get in big trouble.

SirDice have good point there instronics.. try FreeBSD 4.8 stable and If you wanna try FreeBSD 5 , wait for the stable one (FreeBSD 5.1)

Cheerss