Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbies: How to hide stuff on your pc

Post Newbies: How to hide stuff on your pc

This is a well know and easy trick but I'll tell anyhow:
    Just make a folder in MS-DOS by typing "mkdir nameofdir" (without the quotes) don't hit enter yet but now hold the ALT-key and press "255"(without the quotes). Hit enter.

When you try to access the folder through the explorer you'll get an errormessage because windows doesn't understand this symbol. Now you can add stuff to the folder by using the MS-DOS "move" or "copy"-command.

Banned
    why did u post it when it is so well known .... and i think if anybody wants to hide somethin they'll use www.google.com and type in somethin like "hide my files and folders" ....... still tx for contributing to our community

Unhappy

Tried your suggestion but it is not working on Win2K , I followed the directions and can still open the folder in Explorer-am i missing something?
    the day i can\'t do something for a friend is the day i have something better to d

Banned
    Thanks ha-if, I was unaware of that...

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I believe (not positive, its been a while) that the "trick" only works on 9X boxes, not NT boxes. Or maybe its only on FAT machines and not NTFS. Thats why it didn't work for you killraven
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I believe (not positive, its been a while) that the "trick" only works on 9X boxes, not NT boxes. Or maybe its only on FAT machines and not NTFS. Thats why it didn't work for you killraven
    Just tried it on XP home, no go.

I tried it on win98, didn't work.

Windows 2000/XP (I'm not sure about anything under that) can understand more of the "weird" symbols than Windows 95/98 can. I think that's why it can still be opened by the NT 5 platform. I name folders like that all the time using ASCII charactors without a problem. Just make sure you don't do that on your Web/FTP server ;-)
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Works fine with 98.....been using it for awhile now...
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

Ok fine! Nice idea, but that ideas only works for naive users ( i mean users which only knew the basics security in there PC's). Well its still working anyway.
    There are two types of failure: the one who thought who never did, and the one who did who never thought. - Me!