Thread: P2P on network w/ proxys?

P2P on network w/ proxys?

Having problems with setting up a peer to peer program on my computer because it is connected to a server. What is SOCKS 4 and 5 and how do I find out which the server is running? What about udp and tcp? thanks.

Can u tell me which p2p u want to use???

SOCKS is a generic proxy protocol for TCP/IP-based networking applications

When an application client needs to connect to an application server, the client connects to a SOCKS proxy server. The proxy server connects to the application server on behalf of the client, and relays data between the client and the application server. For the application server, the proxy server is the client.

there are two versions of socks server: 4 & 5

The SOCKSv4 protocol performs three functions:

makes connection requests
    sets up proxy circuits
    relays application data

The SOCKSv5 protocol (also known as authenticated firewall traversal (AFT)) , adds authentication to the above functions.

a detailed socks4 protocol description is available under http://archive.socks.permeo.com/prot...ocks4.protocol

description of sock 5 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1928.txt?number=1928

most peer to peer progs offer the possbility to autodetect socks version. i don't know a programm which only detects the socks version
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

redhawk,
    Where are you trying to set up this P2P software? Is it on a corporate or home network? If corporate, trying to get around the proxy could land you a termination. If its home, why do you have a SOCKS proxy server? Please clarify your environment. Thanks.
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision

well check out if ur server provides socks proxy .... if it provides only http proxy then u may have to use a tunneling program like HTTP TUNNEL.....
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Want to use WinMX at work.
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

Dead Man Walking
    I would STRONGLY advise that you discuss this with your systems administrator before you do. More than likely there will be a ban on those types of programs on your office network. They are a major hassle because they suck up bandwidth and are notorious for being a cesspool of virus. Now on the other hand if your sys admin ok's it then he will probably help you get everything set the way you need it. or atleast point you in the right direction.

well if u give out ur proxy details like the open ports.............it will help more to solve ur problem
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

do you know what kind of proxy you are running?
    it can be rather difficult to get it to run through a proxy, have more luck with a router, specially if your proxy box is old and slow. through a proxy you cannot tcp or udp connections. make sure your proxy is set up to accept socks5, since that is what you'll want to use.

so:
    outgoing tcp conncet: sock5 proxy, add IP of proxy, and login name and password (if any)
    unable to accept both TCP and UDP
    use OS to resolve host, unless you have a DNS server

that SHOULD do it, but like i said, proxys and P2P dont mix well.

if you have winproxy, PM me and i will work you through that too. other proxies i have little experience in.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?