Thread: share access within network

Elite Hacker

share access within network

I have three computers on a microsoft windows network. There is the main one, A laptop with wireless access, and one that I just added. When I try and access the shared files on the main computer from the new computer, it says access denied. I am able to access the laptops shared files. I'm also able to access the new computers shared files from the main one. The laptop and main computer are both winXP pro and the new one is win98. Also I'm able to use the shared printer with no problem. How do I get permission to access the shared files on the main computer?
    Thanks in advance
    h3r3tic

Well if both the main computer and the laptop have Windows XP, are the file sharing settings setup the same on the main computer as the laptop? That is where I would start first. Also can you share files back and forth between the laptop and the main computer? Maybe there is a password or login setup wrong on the main computer?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Make sure your workgroup name is the same for all systems. Maybe the new one is different?
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Try checking that you have an account that you can login to from the remote PC or that you have the same account and ID on all three PCs.

Golam
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Elite Hacker
    Thanks for all your replies. I fixed this by not sharing the folder then resharing it. Then about a week or so later the network just completely died which was kind of wierd. I tried many things to fix this and finally just re-setup the network. Aren't you all glad I didn't bug you about that. Anyways, thank you all and for now I have no problems.

No! actually most of us here like being bugged with questions...thats why were here.

Glad you got it fixed
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

we have had a similar problem over or lan. Xp Pro seems to be buggy with the sharing. we had three puters with the same set up... one allowed the sharing one said access denied and one said user name password. we have not found many fixes for this, just try tweaking it a little till it works.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda