Thread: The drivers are hiding from me.

The drivers are hiding from me.

Hey, all. This really isn't the best forum for this, but I couldn't think of anywhere better to put it.

A buddy of mine his having some problems with his computer, and I'm helping him troubleshoot it. He lost all his audio, and I've figgured out that it's definitely because his drivers are corrupted.

Now, typically, this would be no problem. I'd just go find the drivers, point him at them, and let it work itself out. Only we can't find them. Anywhere. I've scoured Google and a couple other places, and nothing.

Here's the stats: He's operating Windows Me, he's running a audio card made by Crystal Semiconductor. I can't find their website. It looks like they're being run by Cirrus or something similar now. The devices listed in his registry are :
    "Crystal SoundFusion (tm)
    Crystal SoundFusion (tm) Blaster Interface
    Crystal SoundFusion (tm) Game Port
    Crystal SoundFusion (tm) SPuD3 Inferface
    Crystal SoundFusion (tm) WDM Interface" I can't find drivers for any of them.

I think that's it. If you need any more details I'll tell you what I know.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that I had him try and auto-update his drivers from the Device Manager, and that didn't work either. Don't know if that helps or not.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

Hi,

You can try this page and see if one of these drivewrs is the one you are looking for.

Pease click HERE

Note: If the link doesn't work go to http://www.driverguide.com and in the search section do a BASIC SEARCH for SOUND DRIVERS using the words Crystal SoundFusion.

You will be asked to enter a username and password that is always the same for any user, unfortunately i can't tell it to you because there's always someone the will misunderstand me and get mad for sure. Just sign in in the site and they will send you the username and password by e-mail.

Good luck,

DKRR

could do with knowing exactly what model you have but try this site

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/263.htm

or this one

http://drivers.on-line.net.nz/listing/page008.html

Do you not have the original drivers on CD that came with the soundcard??

Hope this helps

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Are you positive RunningDuck that its the drivers? Did you guys take the case off the PC? Is the sound card bypass cable connected to a connector on the sound card itsself it should be connected to a connector that says "CD IN", plug it in, now on the other end of the bypass cable plug it in to the back of the cd-rom that says audio, now plug it in put the case back on and its done. If that doesnt help heres some websites I would check out

www.driverguide.com
    www.drivers.com
    www.drivershq.com

These should help you out.

run regedit try to change some set

Yeah, I'm sure it's his drivers, for two reasons. First, his video drivers got corrupted at the same time, he lost the ability to go into 32 bit color (and he does a lot of computer graphics work, so it almost drove him insane) and replacing the driver for it fixed the problem, and Secondly his driver is listed as "not available" for each of those devices I pointed out above.

And no, he doesn't have the origional instalation CD. He's missing just about all the doccumentation and software that origionally came with the computer. So I'm doing it the hard way.

And thanks for all the sites. I think I've found what I need. As soon as he comes online I'll send him a link and hopefully it'll work. Thanks again.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

"his video drivers got corrupted at the same time, he lost the ability to go into 32 bit color (and he does a lot of computer graphics work, so it almost drove him insane) and replacing the driver for it fixed the problem, and Secondly his driver is listed as "not available" for each of those devices I pointed out above."

It seems to me that this is a DirectX issue. Download and replace drivers all day long if you want to...but the hardware must support the software....if it doesn't, nevermind the 'driver updates' etc.... It may be time for a new computer...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Has your friend scanned his system for viruses??

Just a thought.
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

Ok I have seen a system infected with yaha that wouldn't "respond" to reinstalling the drivers.. I am not saying that this is the problem here BUT it could be several corrupted entries in the registry BUT it could be some thing else..

What I have missed from this thread that may help..

1/ What was installed just b4 the "failure"? what was he doing b4 the problem started?

2/ When You try to re-install the Drivers.. did you remove the devices in the Hardware/device manager, and restart the machine before reinstalling the drivers?

3/ Are you sure you have the correct drivers for your sound card.. the Card will have a FCC ID you can use that to search for the drivers or you can use the ID from the main Chip usually 2 or 3 letters followed by 3 to 5 numbers ie ESS1968 etc do a search on these..

4/ The other possability is the Sound card is stuffed.. replace it...

realise that this info is in no particular order..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr