Thread: How to flash the bios of the motherboard : VIA K7200 ?

How to flash the bios of the motherboard : VIA K7200 ?

Hi everyone !!

I got the motherboard VIA K7200 and I want to know what to do if the overclocking is possible. Actually I can't modify neither the Tension Range nor the Frequency of the Bus.
    To sum up, how can I flash my BIOS ??
    Can anyone answer me ?
    So if you answer me ? Where can I see your answer ?
    please e-mail me first to my account andoniaina@antionline.org

Thanks a lot

G'day and welcome to AO..

For your answers look here..

1st for overclocking others may help, but you could try www.overclockers.com or do a search on google.
    as for flashing your BIOS..
    Best to attend to your mobo manufacturer's website, follow through to their support/downloads section and download the current BIOS update for your motherboard.. now don't stuffup here mate or you will end up with an expensive curiosity to show your friends.
    Read the Instructions that they give.. very carefully.. or you will end up with an expensive curiosity to show your friends.
    With many new mother boards you will have an option of flashing the BIOS using a DOS utility or a windows based utility..
    I know you will read this in the instructions .. but I will repeat it.. while the ROM is being written to DO NOT reset the computer, DO Not Turn it OFF, power down ..or you will end up with an expensive curiosity to show your friends.
    Oh and RTFM b4 carring out any changes to your system.. or you will end up with an expensive curiosity to show your friends.

I am not trying to be a smartar$e with my repeated comments but I have seen to many times systems that have had something done like a BIOS flash, some weired Virus and the people have ended up with an expensive curiosity to show their friends.

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Dead Man Walking
    I gota agree with und3rtak3r on this one bud. Flashing your BIOS is no small matter. You gotta make damn sure you know what your doing adn by know if you have done any research you have read this at least 100 times"Do NOT shut the computer off or reboot during a BIOS flash. Definatley a bad thing to do.

I thought @antionline.org mail accounts were dead since like last march?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Also after you've successfully flashed your BIOS and are in the process of rebooting...

You may get a no system disk error, then if you load a floppy it may not find it either.

Remember the new BIOS may not automatically find your hard drive or floppy. You may have to enter setup and set these things. You may want to go into setup before you do anything and copy the values down so you'll know what they are for after flashing the BIOS.

I learned this the hard way, it wasn't a pleasant day!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

i believe there is a chip in the motherboard you unplug, this will flash your bios settings. it resembles a jumper but much bigger in size. look for it in your manual.
    [shadow]LIFE IS GOOD[/shadow]

Originally posted here by maina
    i believe there is a chip in the motherboard you unplug, this will flash your bios settings. it resembles a jumper but much bigger in size. look for it in your manual.
    WTF are you on about?

I suspect you are talking about "Reseting" the CMOS.. that is a jumper on many mobo's
    I dunno what the Bigger thing is you mention.. BUT some mother boards DO have a jumper you need to set B4 YOU CAN flash the BIOS.. normaly that is on older mobo's

Flashing a BIOS, basicly, is to reprogram the BIOS firmware.. or the EEPROM that is.
    The BIOS ROM is the first area of memory that is addressed/read after powerup/reset.
    Boot is from the saying "to drag it up by its boot straps".
    the mobo reads this ROM to first Power On Self Test (POST).
    Then boot the Video adapter, so you can see what the hell is happening. This is the first bit you see.
    Then the a more involved mem test.
    check that there are FDD and IDE devices.
    Not to forget important Input devices (Kbd etc .. if not disabled in the CMOS)
    Now it will initilise the I/O ports (serial/parrallel etc) and a bit of other house keeping..
    Then it lets you know all is well with the world.. then off it goes and looks for the boot block on the first bootable device in the que.. what ever you have set in the CMOS.

Reseting your CMOS , changes what ever setting you have in CMOS to what ever the BIOS writters set as the default..
    Incorectly flashing your BIOS leaves you with a lump of exotic material that is only a curiosity to the casual observer.. Mind I have managed to recover a couple from a partial over-write.. but that was more arse than class.. 30 others were not so fortunate..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr