Securing Apache

Thread: Securing Apache

Securing Apache

Hey gang. I found this on Security Focus today. It seems like a pretty good guide. Let me know what you think.

Before we start securing Apache, we must specify what functionality we expect from the server. Variety of Apache's use makes it difficult to write a universal procedure to secure the server in every case. That's why in this article we'll base on the following functionality:

-the Web server will be accessible from the Internet only static HTML pages will be served

-the server will support name-based virtual hosting mechanism

-specified Web pages can be accessible only from selected IP addresses or users (basicauthentication)

-the server will log all the Web requests (including information about Web browsers)
    Get the full article here.

Enjoy.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

It's a good article, though a lot of it is *nix-specific and I would really expect a 'securing Apache' article to apply to Windows platforms as well.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Unfortunately it's rather idealised. Not very many people run Apache servers where they serve static content only from a chroot, they should come back into the real world

Slarty

Originally posted here by slarty
    Unfortunately it's rather idealised. Not very many people run Apache servers where they serve static content only from a chroot, they should come back into the real world

Slarty
    Good point, and they totally ignore running Apache on other platforms (it works fine on my Win2k machine - there might be lots of vulnerabilities but that doesn't matter on a development platform).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

OpenBSD's apache comes chrooted by default since obsd3.2.
    While it is slighly more complicated, it is possible to serve dynamic content from a chroot...
    Many people have php & postgresql/mysql serving from a chroot apache. All (*) you need is your php binaries inside your chroot as well as perhaps /etc/hosts to resolve localhost or what ever hostname you need, and connect to your database through sockets instead of named pipes...

(Ok, I admit I haven't bothered to try it myself, but it is doable)

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Thanks for the insight peeps - too bad I didn't write the article to change it. Maybe I can do a tut for Apache newbies like myself.

Thanks again for the responses.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile