Thread: HOW DO I BLOCK an IP RANGE

HOW DO I BLOCK an IP RANGE

I have a small question?

How do i go by to block someones whole ip range?

How exactly do you want to block them, and what do you want to block access to?

What software are you running - Apache, phpBB, Linux, what?

You need to be much more specific in order for someone to help you.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Moved from Antionline: How do I? to Newbie Security**
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    A solution would be to block them with the firewall. I pressume that all firewalls nowadays let you chose certain ip ranges aswell as port ranges to be blocked. Which firewall do you use, and is your setup a network, or just a single host? The more information you provide us with, the better we can try to help you. Also, which firewall do you use?

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Lightbulb HOW do I block ip RANGEs

Thanks for the hell, i readlly appreciate the work you guys go through to help us newbies out!

ok i have windows XP i use NORTON firewall and wats a good firewall to use to block ip ranges?

Thanks for the help really appreaciate, hope one day to return the favor!

norton will do the job. just set da range start and end

You should be able to configure Norton to block an IP range. Try looking in the help pages.
    Many people use Zone alarm as it can be downloaded free, and the Pro version is relatively cheap.
    Zone Alarm can definitely block single addresses and whole IP ranges

Golam
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Smile

I have Norton Internet Security 2003 which comes with their antivirus and firewall programs.

I'm running it on an XP as well and here is how I block a range of IP addresses.
    Please note, the procedure below may be different for you depending on what version of Norton firewall you have. But this might help you get an idea of where to look.

First I open up my Norton Internet Security program, click on "Personal Firewall", click on "configure" (This may prompt you for a password if you have one setup. I would recommend you set up a password if you don't have one already).
    Now click on the "Home Network" tab at the top, click on the "Restricted" tab to enter the range of IPs that you want to restrict. Then click on "add" and select the "Using a Range" radio button. Should now be able to add the range of IPs that you want to restrict.
    Finally, click on "OK" to make the changes.

I hope that helps to some degree.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO BLOCK THIS IP£¿WHAT JOB DO YOU WORKING £¿

CAREFULY READ YOUR MAUNL BOOK AND REALIZE HOW TO CONFIG YOUR NORTON FIREWALL ¡£DON¡®T FORGET TELL ME IF YOU HAVE DONT IT

Why block complete range of IP addresses....

Normally such IP blocking are undertaken at Network firewall level.. Personal Firewalls unless very critical should not set such rules.....

U can instead block the IP's of the unwanted connections.. It is simple when using IP tables in Linux...

I am sure such graphical utlity would be available with Norton. Also have u tried XP in built internet firewall....

It is worth a try....

Regards

Kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****