Thread: Am I Being Hacked?

Question Am I Being Hacked?

When I was exchanging "IMs" on Yahoo Messenger the other day, I noticed that their IP was showing up as being connected to my computer on TCP Port 5101. Am I being hacked or spied on? Please advise. Thanx.

Hi,

If while chating you were exchanging files (transfering files) then what you had was what is know as a direct connection to his/her computer so to do this you have to be connected someway and so it is obvious that you will see an unknown IP address connected.

Personally, i wouldn't worry about it if you trust him/her.

Bye,

DKRR

Thanx for your response. No, he and I weren't exchanging files...just text and voice chat.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    If you're exchanging files on MSN, Yahoo, IRC (via DCC) it's absolute normal you'll see a connection established if you do a netstat. Dark Raider is right, not much to worry about, IF you trust the person at the other side.

Such connections are setup via the server where you chat, the transfer goes DCC ( direct connect ) or p2p between you two.

Greetz

Just saw your reply , Seventh Angel.

Well, if you only were chatting , then it would be normal too you'll have an unknown ip in yer list.
    Mostly in MSN or Yahoo,... those unknown ip's are the connection or hostserver of the used chat service (MSN , ...)

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Thanx )

Hrm... I'm posting here because I just think that the responses here weren't clear enough.

Basically you were connected to his PC by the voicechat. Thats why his IP showed up. Plain and simple reason.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Probobly the open port is just for the Im window that you are talkin to them through. This is the same for AIM, MSN and such.

If you wanted to take it one step further, you could setup a sniffer like tcpdump/windump so that you could actually see the connection established. I believe you would even be able to see the information passed over the wire since it is usually sent in the clear. Not to confuse you, but I find sniffer's very useful when trying to determine what is going on with traffic to and from addresses.

Regards,

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile