Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese dilemma

Chinese dilemma

Okay, here's one for all you "human rights activists" out there. Is executing people because they break quarantine and infect other people the correct thing to do?

news story

How many of you would favor the execution of people who may or may not be purposely spreading this disease?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

hmmm. The Chinese govt is not known for its great civility or mercy. However you would think they would first attempt to prove the accused had sars first. Is this story verified?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

The Chinese are certainly known for their draconian responses to such problems. I do believe however, that if anyone is purposely spreading this disease, they should be punished since it's so deadly. The Chinese should of been much more forthcoming with the details of this whole thing in the first place, perhaps we wouldnt be dealing with SARS on such a grand scale, atleast as far as China is concerned.

Originally posted here by gold eagle
    hmmm. The Chinese govt is not known for its great civility or mercy. However you would think they would first attempt to prove the accused had sars first. Is this story verified?
    Verified? The Chinese gov't owned news agency reported it, Xinhua(or whatever). Nothing like getting it straight from the horse's mouth, eh?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

In China in this recent SARS outbreak their have been numerous instances of animal killings as well, since people believe that animals are responsible for spreading the SARS virus. This has got to the point where a man threw his dog out the window, and when the dog was merely injured and not dead, he buried it alive. I know animal rights isn't exactly in vogue in China but this is pretty crazy. The situation over there is dire, if people aren't respecting quarantine restrictions or similar and they are spreading the disease, I don't see the problem with punishing them severely, however the death penalty is taking it a bit far IMHO, and the move towards it is probably due to the fact that SARS is scaring the shite out of people over there at the moment.

This has got to the point where a man threw his dog out the window, and when the dog was merely injured and not dead, he buried it alive. I know animal rights isn't exactly in vogue in China but this is pretty crazy. The situation over there is dire, if people aren't respecting quarantine restrictions or similar and they are spreading the disease, I don't see the problem with punishing them severely, however the death penalty is taking it a bit far IMHO, and the move towards it is probably due to the fact that SARS is scaring the shite out of people over there at the moment.
    I heard about that dog incident actually.

I agree with you powertoad, the death penalty is a bit much, especially if it was done indirectly.

Doesn't SARS only have a 2% chance of killing you? Or is this only for white people?
    [shadow]Vis Tecum Sit[/shadow]
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=371

You'd think people would have enough to deal with if they had SARS without worrying about being shot by their own government.

China is infamous for having an oppressive communist government which frankly doesn't give a damn about the rights of its citizens (I remember when the military used tanks to attack students holding a peaceful protest). Other countries should stop trading with them and allowing them to host international events (World Cup, Olympics etc.) until they rapidly improve their human rights record.

The Chinese government really do disgust me - I bet if anyone there got SARS and decided to leave the country they wouldn't be shot on sight.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

China is infamous for having an oppressive communist government which frankly doesn't give a damn about the rights of its citizens (I remember when the military used tanks to attack students holding a peaceful protest). Other countries should stop trading with them and allowing them to host international events (World Cup, Olympics etc.) until they rapidly improve their human rights record.
    I couldnt agree more, they should have never been able to join the WTO. I'm for free trade, but China has to get this Human Right's thing fixed.

Perhaps the WTO approval process has been, dare we suggest, impressed upon by the business elite?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.