Linux illegal ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux illegal ?

Linux illegal ?

I just stumbled accross the following site and I thought I should share it here.
    By contrast, much of Linux has been built from contributions by numerous unrelated and unknown software developers, each contributing a small section of code. There is no mechanism inherent in the Linux development process to assure that intellectual property rights, confidentiality or security are protected. The Linux process does not prevent inclusion of code that has been stolen outright, or developed by improper use of proprietary methods and concepts.
    How serious is this ?
    Any opinions

SOURCE

Dead Man Walking
    can you please post a link to the rest of the article please?

Sorry i forgot, I added it !

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    WTF???

This has to be a hoax, i mean common people. This sounds like more like M$ than the GPL/GNU. Let this be said, if linux goes, i will never touch a computer again!!

Bye Now!
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It's SCO's attempt to a) control the Linux market and b) cash grab. IIRC, Linux is a GPL concept and IIRC, built from scratch. If SCO is truly serious, they should consider going after MS over DOS which contains portions ported directly from *nix, without permission I'm quite sure. In addition, their claim of stolen intellectual property will be hard to defend in court if the code of the various components was never challenged prior to now.

They only recently acquired the "Unix" name, after purchasing it from AT&T. IIRC, AT&T tried a similar action and failed. I would be curious to see how the courts deal with this.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    //addon

Let me get a clear mind before responding more to this post here! This SUX big time.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

SCO's target is IBM, not Linux. There's a good article about it in one of the Linux magazines (sorry I forget which). The whole thing has very little to do with Linux itself, and a lot to do with SCO's former (fading fast) position as a licensor of *nix code to the OS efforts of Sun, HP, and IBM.

Linux users may happily and completely ignore SCO. The letter is just a minor ploy in SCO's efforts to force IBM to buy them out (as detailed in the article.)

- Qualm

SCO are suing IBM for $1billion over this (read in Linux Format last month). They're not targetting Linux in general, just the way IBM distributes it.

Basically, it's a company that's failed to keep up with the times making a last ditch attempt to salvage something from its failing *nix business. They are gambling on either winning the case (VERY unlikely, since IBM probably has much better lawyers and a stronger case) or being bought out by someone else (i.e. it is a publicity stunt of sorts).

People working on Linux shouldn't be too worried though.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Damn you pwaring .... I was just starting to get a kick out of thinking of myself as some Uber Elite Cyber Outlaw ..... on the run with my linux machine

Seriously tho, thanks for info/link, very informative.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted here by Phat_Penguin
    Damn you pwaring .... I was just starting to get a kick out of thinking of myself as some Uber Elite Cyber Outlaw ..... on the run with my linux machine

Seriously tho, thanks for info/link, very informative.
    LOL the linux outlaws

This have definitly something to do with the recent (arg since a while ) IBM promotion for Linux on their servers and mainframe servers.
    http://www-1.ibm.com/services/e-business/linux.html