Thread: Problems with X

It's a gas!

Problems with X

Recently ive had X freeze on me when i try to close an application.
    When i first installed RH7.1 on a different box, it ran very smoothly with no hanging.

I then built a new box and installed RH8 on it but had to uninstall because X wouldnt start up.

I then reverted back to RH7.1 which was working fine but then over the past couple of days it just started hanging once X started.

Im using Gnome.

Anyone any ideas on how to resolve this bar reinstalling?

Thanks in advance

r3boo+,

I am running Mandrake 9.1 on a AMD 900/Asus mb setup and was having huge problems with X freezes every other day - it looks like my problem is the nVidia based TNT2 card (32mb) and AGP. I ended up ripping out the AGP card and dropping in a cheap pci one (same spec's) and disabled all the Advanced Power Management options in BIOS .... my system is now stable running the latest linux drivers from nVidia .... its not used for gaming so high spec graphic card is not an issue here, stability is

I dont know if any of these things are applicable to your system but this is how I overcame my problem.

If you have a nVidia based card there is a ton of reading on X problems you describe on the nVidia board at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/

It's a gas!
    Yeah could well be a problem with the graphics card.
    Its also an AGP card but im not sure off hand what type it is.

Ill have a look when i get home and also disable the Advanced Power Management options in the BIOS to see if that helps any.

Thanks for the advice phat_penguin.

Hi,
    I too had same problems with RH 7.1. But it was KDE that froze.It just showed the splash screen, detecting all the devices and then froze. I have also seen many such posts on the net complaining about the X problems of RH 7.1. Try using some other version.