Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are port scans and ow do I close a port ?

Put another way:

A port is a device (virtual) used for making a connection. Each device is assigned a number. A port scan is the act of testing these devices to see if they are in use

A port is only ‘open’ when a service is using it. The only way to close a port is to turn off the service.

Rather than turning off services, which is not always possible, you can make these services unreachable from the internet or reachable only to selected computers by the use of a firewall.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

So what your all saying is, you do not know how to shut down ports. You all seem to know how to babble on about the same thing, but do not know how to answer the question asked. Great two pages of babble, I came here to find answers to questions, not to drooled over. I guess the answer to your question is, find another site that has people whom can answer the question without the lecture. And for all those that posted, please read the postes prior to your new post, so you do not continue to repeat yourselfs. Right that said im off to another thread, so i can waste another hour reading repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat, sorry am I boring you?

posted Today 09:14 PM
    (post #12)

So what your all saying is, you do not know how to shut down ports. You all seem to know how to babble on about the same thing, but do not know how to answer the question asked. Great two pages of babble, I came here to find answers to questions, not to drooled over. I guess the answer to your question is, find another site that has people whom can answer the question without the lecture. And for all those that posted, please read the postes prior to your new post, so you do not continue to repeat yourselfs. Right that said im off to another thread, so i can waste another hour reading repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat, sorry am I boring you?

Look here doosh bag, this is the answer to shutting down a port, read the Fuc***g post next time!

A firewall is the most common way, but the most effective is to shut the ports down manually. All ports that are open are related to a certain service, to shut these ports down manually including messenger, type services.msc in the command prompt, and disable all the services you dont want running. I would definately follow that link to blackviper.com, so you can familiarize yourself with each service.

perhaps its because the original author failed to include his/her operating system is the reason why a brutally precise and technical answer was not found in this thread. or perhaps because this particular question has been asked numerous times in numerous threads in numerous forums on numerous sites that people didn't feel suitably motivated to rewrite what they have contributed before. and perhaps because the original authors question wreaked of misconception that more elaborated and ``lecture'' like responces began to emerge. on that note, perhaps third level education is not for you oddball, i hear they like to give lectures and not (akin to the modern generations lust for "instant gratification") get straight to the answer for reasons so frustratingly obvious, if you don't know now, you aren't going to find out here.

seeing as you don't like people to lecture you:
    a) it took you an hour to read this thread (your words not mine, re-worded by me)
    b) i bet you typed each "repeat after" manually, instead of c&p
    c) since you appear to be blind
    (1) tampabay recommended a firewall for protection
    (2) FrameWork described how to close ports on Win2kXP in the second reply
    (3) gits third reply indicated it would be different for linux
    (4) etc.
    (5) etc.
    d) did i just make you read it again?
    e) your irony was a little excessive, but entertaining nonetheless
    f) you could have posted more constructively - contributing to the question OR the answer.
    g) google
    o) other search engines
    r) read some books
    z) full-stop.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!