Thread: What's wrong with crackers?

What's wrong with crackers?

Yes, I know, we all aren't best friends with crackers, but what should we do without them?
    We call crackers irresponsible... but without all the crackers/scriptkiddies out there the whitehat hackingculture would die. Why secure if nobody attempts to break in? Ofcourse, you can play wargames, hack boxes of your own network etc. but without crackers in the real world the whitehats wouldn't exist either.
    So a world without blackhats isn't so good after all.

Believe me they wouldnt be missed, and i disagree, we dont need the script kiddies or the crackers to keep the whitehat tradition alive. (I know this, because i was a big-time script kiddie at one time), and i wasnt helping anyone and im sure they dont miss me.

<edited>

Senior since the 3 dot era
    The same goes for the day. You don't have day without night.
    If you think further, even the concepts white hat / black hat ... whatever would not exist.

Your idea sounds reasonable but think like this, the first cracks, worms, viruses were only succesfull cause they exploited existing holes in software and since people are curious...
    The need to keep code secure is always there.

And further what are the motives behind an action? Why did T. Morris spread his 'internetworm' in 1988? Who knows?
    http://library.succurit.com/virus/internetworm.txt

scriptkiddies any use? I think not, except from being a stage in a growing up proces for many kids. While now internet and almost userfriendly computers are common, more and more computer enthousiasts want to be like the ones they have seen on movies. Is this different from the '80 's generation? Not realy, only the 'playground' changed. The 3Mbps DSL lines are now the instruments to gain knowlegde in nice gui like style, where once it was and still is cl on 1200bps modems.

if there were no black hats, then this site wouldn't be here- most of you would have a different hobby/job... think about that... sort of like cops hate robbers, but robbers keep cop's families fed!
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Yes, I know, we all aren't best friends with crackers, but what should we do without them?
    It's a great theory and we can continue with virus/anti-virus, thief/police/jail/house protect/Person protection/car alarm/..., war/military.

I've heard this sort of arguement before. One must be careful how far to take it though. For example, you would not suggest that those who molest others are in some way helping society by keeping pyschologists in salary, would you? I most certainly would disagree strongly.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I think he's looking at this all wrong. If there weren't robbers, the cops wouldn't go hungry but rather be put to work on something more useful. The problem is a problem. I it weren't for hacker, sure this site wouldn't work but perhaps it's noble creators would have made a similar forum on a more laid-back topic. And if we didn't have to worrie about safty on comps, programs would likly be smaller so that those with smaller weaker computers can still preticipate in the computer world. And don't say that that will hurt the computer making market because people will always want faster computers for the same reason they buy fast cars when there is a speed limit.
    Not all those who wander are lost.