Thread: Antivirus Software

Question Antivirus Software

Need av software that doesn't need IE. Can't use NOD 32. Also, no automatic downloads. Have checked websites and half of them are no use. Some have no sales dept, and others don't answer. Have a dual boot 98SE/2000 (2 hd)with dialup on 98 and IE has been disabled. Have McAfee 5.0 but it's being dropped. Does anyone here either know much about the various software or know where I can find this type of info?
    Thanks

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I am not aware of antivirus software being dependent on any specific web browser (or any web browser at all per se).

Can you clarify why you "can't" use NOD 32?

Do you have specific arguements against McAfee VirusScan 7.0, Norton Antivirus, CA ETrust, Trend Micro PC-Cillin, Panda, Sophos, F-Secure, Kaspersky?

Have you investigated some of the free options?

I guess I am just unclear of what your requirements are or why you couldn't use any one of the products listed above. Maybe if you were more specific I could provide a better direction for you.

Hope that helps

Dead Man Walking
    Nortons is my personal choice. Its not browser dependant (like tony said ive never heard of av software being dependant on the browser). And it does a good job of keeping me out of trouble.

antivirus

Can't use NOD32 because I would have to buy 2 copies. 1 for 98 and 1 for 2000 (checked Wilder's). Norton, I don't trust -used to have it and an update took out my art tablet and sound card. McAfee does say that you must have IE installed (they are tied to a DLL) So do a couple of the others. Panda, - can't get any info from the site, RAV, no info, F-prot sales did promise a reply(haven't got it, yet), Sophos, no info. Looked at Bitdefender, no system requirements and no sales department to contact unless you downloaded it. Haven't tried the online - prefer a resident. I have problems with some sites because I use Opera. Canned Netscape and IE is disabled. I feel it has saved me more aggravation than the workarounds. I won't reinstall IE as I think it's malware in itself, even if you have it set to the highest security.
    I guess what I want is some kind of input from those that have used the various AV and the pros and cons
    Thanks

Try AVG its free for personal use. I dont think is Ie depenendent but who knows.....

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Antivirus

Here's the reply from F-Prot
    F-Prot Antivirus for Windows requires Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher to run
    updated of the virus signature files.

Best regards,
    Kolbrun Valbergsdottir
    F-Prot Antivirus Tech Support
    Thanks,
    Weezy

try vcom (used to be ontrack).
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Thanks anyway. Asked the various makers of av software again, and this time a few more answered. RAV is looking like what I want. Seems to be well-respected, also. Received a very detailed reply from them, right down to a custom install. They seem to be the "Opera" of av.
    Thanks again
    weezy