Dual Boot Linux/Windows ?

Thread: Dual Boot Linux/Windows ?

Unhappy Dual Boot Linux/Windows ?

I want to make my pc a dual boot system with Windows 98 and Linux Mandrake7.2, but before I do I have some questions that I'm sure you guys can answer for me.
    Here's what I want to do: I'm running a HP/433mgz/192ram/2 hard drives...c:\10gig..d:\40gig/
    cable modem/ windows 98. This is a family pc that my wife and 4 kids use as much as I do.
    I would like to use Partition Magic to create a 3 gig partition on the c:\ drive....call the new partition L:\ and install Linux Mandrake 7.2. We have alot of programs on the computer that we use all the time and here are where my questions come in. If we boot into Linux will we be able to access the C:\ and the D:\?, Will I be able to use programs such as Music Match Jukebox, Kazaa, Webshots, Photoshop, AIM, Internet Explorer, Netscape, Zone Alarm, Nortons, Microsoft Works..(Word, Excell...), ... Programs that are already installed in Windows, or will I need to download Linux versions and reinstall into the Linux Partition?
    My goal is to gradually introduce Linux to my family in the hopes that they will like it and get used to it so we can make a slow transaction away from Microsoft.
    Any suggestions, comments, and answers to my questions will be greatly appreaciated.
    You can\'t squeeze cheese from a goat before it\'s hatched.............

If your dual boot is successful you will be able to use all of your windows apps (on your windows partition) obviously. There are similiar programs in windows that will work in linux, although many of those you have named in your post wont work in linux. But i wouldnt worry, there are plenty of great open source applications that will perform the same functions. Just make sure you set windows as your primary partition, and linux as your extended partition, and dont forget to make a swap file partition for linux as well. I often use Partition Magic to partition my drive when installing linux, and i have had very few problems.

f we boot into Linux will we be able to access the C:\ and the D:\?
    I know from using SuSE for a few months that you were able to access the C: drive, but im not familiar with mandrake.

Good luck with all that.

Why haven't you considered putting linux on the second hard drive,
    since it is bigger? Any way, either way, linux will require two partitions,
    one for the bulk of the OS and one for swap, virtual memory.

Your linux partitions will not appear to windows, and therefore will not be
    assigned drive letters. Linux has a different system of naming drives and
    partitions. You can see the windows drives from linux, hovever.

You will not be able to run any windows software from linux, but will find
    lots of software installed that will do a lot of the things you have been
    doing in windows.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Linux usually needs 3 partitions (/boot[linux native], swap[linux swap], and root [linux native]). Windows will only need one so there fore you will have to set up 4 partitions on your computer.
    No program written for Windows will work under Linux (unless you use the wine emulator) it's as simple as that. However I would do as rcgreen says and get a second hard drive onto wich you install either Windows or Linux.
    I strongly suggest that you read some books on Linux and familaricy yourself with it a bit more before you start messing about with it's partisions.

Ok.....I managed install Mandrake 7.2......I'm not impressed......it's like win3.0..... it sux//
    mabey i'm just jaded by windows/ mabey I expect too much/ hell I dont know, but right now I am not impressed with Linux. Ill give it time.....I wont give up..... I will really try to learn this ****.

Ill give it time.....I wont give up..... I will really try to learn this ****.
    That's the spirit! Take your medicine, it's good for you.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Talking Thanks for the reply's......

I want to thank everyone for the reply's to my post, I took your advice rcgreen and installed Mandrake 9.1 on the D:\ and it boots fine. After using Mandrake 7.2, 9.1 is a huge improvement. I LOVE IT!!!.......
    I would like to encourage anyone using Windows to give Linux Mandrake 9.1 a try. I have my 10 year old daughter using it and she likes it. Thanks again........... I'm sure to have more questions as I learn how to use Linux and I'm sure you you guys will be able to help me out.