Thread: mIRC firewall problem

mIRC firewall problem

Hey friends,
    I have a little problem with my mIRC chat, it is being block by the firewall. All of us here in the office cannot access the mIRC chat system. The scenario is this when I tried to connect different server the message will appear "unable to resolve server" I look into the online help and I found this :
    ---------------------------------------
    Unable to resolve IRC Server
    If you try to connect to a server and see this message, the problem could be:

Your Internet Provider's DNS isn't working
    This happens occasionally and is a temporary problem with your Internet Provider. This problem would also result in your being unable to connect to other internet services such as web sites. You should try again later.

An Invalid or Non-working IRC Server address
    You might be trying to connect to an IRC Server that is currently not working, or perhaps is an old address and doesn't exist anymore. You should try another IRC Server.
    ---------------------------------------

I have no problems with my current internet connection and my DNS is work fine. I ask our Administrator and she told us she didn't change any policy in the firewall. How can I solve this problem and make my mIRC connected and online again? I need help on this. By the way Im using mIRC 6.03. and the default port is 6667. In the firewall support option: I used both SERVER & DCC and protocol socks4. Any suggestions and help are very welcome. Thanks in advanced. -- bunkerbuster ---
    There are two types of failure: the one who thought who never did, and the one who did who never thought. - Me!

why do you want mIRC at work....arn't you supposed to "work" there? and why do you want us to help you circumvent your work-places firewall, some thing which is I'm not misstaken is Illegal? If you need help with it...ask you admin....

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Can you ping the server ? Or do a tracert in your command prompt window to see if where it goes wrong.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

This is prolly a st00pit qwesti0n....butt, Have you tried logging on to a different server?..coz wif Mirc it aint all sm00th sailing.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    If a firewall is blocking the connection, then i would pressume that its blocking any attempt to destination ports 6000 - 7000 which are the most common irc ports. If its a dedicated firewall, then it does not matter if its mirc or any irc client, no connections will be allowed to those ports!

The other problem might be, that your behind a proxy with URL control, denying any access to host names like irc.bleh.blah and that all traffic is forced to go through the proxy, or maybe the mirc client has to be configured to use the proxy in order to access the irc server. I will agree with what noia has said, the restriction has been put there for a reason. Bypassing the restriction is only an annoyance for your system administrator. I would say its more a security issue. IRC can be a dangerous place you know. I would recomend you respect your admins configurations and policy.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Actually, Instronics is right..... as usual
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Re: mIRC firewall problem

I have no problems with my current internet connection and my DNS is work fine. I ask our Administrator and she told us she didn't change any policy in the firewall. How can I solve this problem and make my mIRC connected and online again? I need help on this. By the way Im using mIRC 6.03. and the default port is 6667. In the firewall support option: I used both SERVER & DCC and protocol socks4. Any suggestions and help are very welcome. Thanks in advanced. -- bunkerbuster ---
    Here you mention that one of the admins said that they didn't change anything with the policy. Why didn't you just ask her if there is any reason they would block it? They are probably not specifically disallowing default irc ports(since she seemed to have no clue, or at least didn't say anything about blocking it), but there is not likely to be a rule specifically allowing the traffic. Some firewalls are setup by Admins with a catch all "Block all traffic" rule, and above that, there are rules that explicitly allow certain types of traffic. This is why I say that they could be unintentionally blocking it. However, chances are, someone thought it not too wise to allow IRC. There are bunches of exploits, virii, and trojans that work with and through IRC. We don't allow it either.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile