Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Port Scanner for Remote

I am using languard, it sounds good... I am also using NMAP but the windows version.. I understand that nmap on win has very limited options......

Also check this site for some free tools
    http://www.nii.co.in/research/tools.html

kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

"Whats the best port scanner out there? I want a good one so I can chck my home LAN for any valnurabilites."

Just to reiterate....

NMAP = Port Scanner = finds open ports, which is only one type of vulnerability (and only a "maybe" even then)

Nessus, Internet Scanner, Retina, Cerberus, Cybercop, Foundscan, Stat Scan, Leviathan, Pluto, et al are Vulnerability scanners, that is they find holes on your machine that could pose problems.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

You mean there's other port scanners, other than NMAP?

Oh, FSCAN or Hping2... yea, that's it.

well on linux

NMAP,
    NESSUS,
    WHISKER

will do the trick

How about Retina ?

Compare with Nessus, i find Retina almost adequate.
    Let\'s go to Paramount Great America !!!! LFC (LookingForChick)

hehe, this post seems to be overall full... however I'll have to say thanks for posing, and for creator of thread, helped me out, thanks
    KK

Banned
    Originally posted here by yuna_admirer
    How about Retina ?

Compare with Nessus, i find Retina almost adequate.
    Retina is a superior program to nessus, and with retina no other scanner is needed. In addition to all the functionality of nMap, Nessus, SAINT, Whisker, and SARA... retina also has CHAM, an AI hacking module and the only scanner to ever be responsible for the discovery of _new_ exploits (yes, retina has bugtraq submissions)

Yes, retina is expensive.

catch

Don't forget the inside

Alot of attacks these days come over the Universal FireWall Bypass anyway. PORT 80. Every firewall has em open, so content or payload checking outweighs port scanning in my book, don't get me wrong I use nMap EVERYDAY. It rocks. And you have got to scan your ports for quickly locating the script kiddie baddies, I am not arguing that. Oh, I notice alot of people use XP, you have a local inside tool that is ESSENTIAL. "netstat" Be warned, you will be scared to death when you run it on a few user PCs. It will tell you what ports are open, where they are connected and get and ID reference to track it down. Got to give old M$ a hand for that one.

It's a command line tool

C:\netstat

This command give you the active process ID. A is for All and O is for Owner.

C:\netat -ao

I am new to this forum and it's HUGE, so I apologize to original posters if this command has been brought up before. It's not a port scanner but it will tell you exactly what ports are in use or listening.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Still,

Just try Retina, and ... you'll see.
    The Bug database of Retina are updated almost daily, so instead of monitoring Security Focus, just performing a Bug scan everyday will keep you updated with newest bugs.
    Let\'s go to Paramount Great America !!!! LFC (LookingForChick)

I use IP-Tools. It not only has port scaning but many other features as well. You can get it at Tucows.