Thread: My PC is Freezing!!! can anyone help?!

My PC is Freezing!!! can anyone help?!

Hi all,
    Well, yesterday I worked on my PC for 2 hours, untill suddenly is freezed up! I pressed the reset button, it started up normally, but after about 10 mins it freezed up again, the I pressed the reset button tp restart it but, this time it never started up, it kept on freezing after being on for a specific amount of time, which is less than a minute!
    If I chose Safe mode it starts up then freezes, if I open the BIOS setup and wait for that amount of time it freezes, If I load windows normally, it freezes when The message Verifying DMI pool data...

What is my PCs problem? can anyone help...
    Confusion, will be my epitaph...
    King Crimson - Epitaph

hmmm .. Freezing???

Something is getting hot..

Check your CPU cooling fan, PSU cooling fan, GPU cooling fan.. but most importantly the CPU.. if it is not moving.. fix it

Post back how you get on

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

if your pc is freezing maybe you should wrap it up in a blanket and give it a warm drink

sorry couldn't resist.... I agree with Und3rtak3r... it sounds like something is getting hot inside the case - have you tried taking the case off, letting it cool down for say 20mins and then trying again? If this produces some benefit then I'd reckon you need more cooling. Another thought - is it particularly dusty inside the case... you might want to try blowing some of the dust off if it is.

NB use a can of compressed air rather than blowing with your own lungs

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Dead Man Walking
    Sounds like a heat issue to me but another option could be your power supply. Open your case let it cool down and the power up and watch your fans. Now i know somebodys gonna think im an idiot for saying power supply but ive been through a simialr siuationwith a pc i had had for a while that the power supply when bad in. If its a store bought pc like an hp or compaq you might wanna check and see if the waranty is still in effect before you open up your case. alot of outfits used to ( i havent bought a pre built system in years so i dont know if they still do) put a little sticker on the case seams and if the sticker is broke your waranty is void. if its still under waranty take it to the store you bought it from or call tech support. And like zonewalker said try cleaning it out. I had a freind call me cause his pc was over heating so i went over and opened up the case and the cpu fan was so caked with dust it wouldnt spin. worked fine after i cleaned it off.

Hi again, I appreciate your help, but HEAT is not the problem...
    all the fans are woking properly, and just in case, I left my PC tuned off for two hours with the case open, but the problem didn't go away!!!

My processor is an Intel Celeron 600 MHz... what I want to ask is, is it natural to have the processr's heat exceed 95C?? cause I have a heat sensor that tells me the temp of the CPU, this sensor displays its values in the BIOS setup screen... and it sometimes shows a value of more than 90C...

does that relate to my problem?
    King Crimson - Epitaph

I did sound like an idiot out there didn't I?!!! saying it was not a HEAT problem then asking about the CPU's temp exceeding 90!!!

By the way Zonewalker, the case is not that dusty from the inside!!!

Ah well... I'll be really glad if someone could tell me the solution anyway...
    King Crimson - Epitaph

Crimson.... umm... yeah I'd say that heat IS a problem, it isn't normal for a CPU to be running at up to 95 degrees C. It should be running nearer 50 degrees C for a celeron (I think). I don't have time at the moment to look for the thermal limits of a celeron - but google should help there. It sound like you need extra cooling. Are you overclocking the chip by any chance??

You should look at getting another case fan, possibly a better CPU fan and some arctic silver thermal paste - or a zalman heat dissapater... have a look at this place

http://quietpc.ca/cpucooling.html

hope that helps

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

your fans can stil be all working and your PC can overheat, mine once got to 75 then locked up due to heat, when i got it in the first place it wouldnt boot at all, the reason was that the heatsink wasnt properly attached (not that i knew that), maybe your heatsink has come loose, check the clips that will be holding it down on the CPU, as Zone said 95C is waay too hot, my AMD gets to 50C on the worst days now with an extra case fan in it...

it may also be a hard drive problem with corrupt data as well, but thats not likely as you said the same thing happens when you get into the BIOS, could even be something screwy with your mainboard, how long have you had the system for?