Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hex Editing Windows98

Hex Editing Windows98

I recently used the DOS edit to tinker with explorer.exe; the results were very exciting for a newbie like me:

Being able to see results practically instantly is a nice break from having to read for days on end to achieve something However, it has also been frustrating because I'm unable to find other things to edit...the name of my "Recycle Bin" for example. I have searched through more files than I can count, but to no avail. If someone could point me to where some files are usually located on a win98 machine that are able to be edited easily (such as what I did with explorer.exe), it would be appreciated. I know how, I just need the where.

PS - Yes I searched google. Every link I looked at was some sort of editor, and not a guide/etc. I also apologize if this is not in the correct forum; the windows security forum seemed to be for much more advanced questions.

Hey, I love to Hex-Edit stuff all the time- although check some software licenses prohibit/make it illegal to "reverse-engineer" there software... besides that have fun- if you're using windows try HackMan(tm) - a very nice set of editing tools and toys
    http://www.technologismiki.com/hackman/
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

O.K,

For those of you curious about hex editing and raw disk editing check out my web page.

I have put a free tool there for downloading called FRED. I also put on a screen shot.

Check it out.

Remember this is a free host and the banners are not my fault. I have paid to have them removed but they aint gone yet.

http://itdepartment.0catch.com

er0k
    heh i was some of those tricks worked on NT5, im kinda getting sick of reading cool articles like noodle posted and figuring out that "That stuff doesnt work anymore "

cool post noodle, i liked that article, even though it doesnt work on my systeM!

How to change the name of your recycle bin

1. Open RegEdit (select Run in the Start menu and enter RegEdit in the text box).
    2. Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and locate CLSID (the Class ID option). Scroll down to the {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} key and click it.
    3. In the right-hand window, double-click (Default), and change the name from Recycle Bin to whatever you
    prefer.
    4. Click OK and close RegEdit.
    5. To make the new name take effect, click once anywhere on the desktop, then press the F5 key.

How to change the start icon to whatever you want.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/791/ -----Go to this link-----

-----------------------------------------------------
    Heres a screenshot of my start menu
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies.

mark_boyle, there's some dead links on your page (Tiny Firewall for example), but other than that it was nice

===============================
    --------------------------------------------------
    Heres a screen shot of my Recycle Bin
    --------------------------------------------------
    ===============================

And heres how to do it again.

1. Open RegEdit (select Run in the Start menu and enter RegEdit in the text box).
    2. Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and locate CLSID (the Class ID option). Scroll down to the {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} key and click it.
    3. In the right-hand window, double-click (Default), and change the name from Recycle Bin to whatever you
    prefer.
    4. Click OK and close RegEdit.
    5. To make the new name take effect, click once anywhere on the desktop, then press the F5 key.

Yeah, there was another thread pointing to a web page with WinXP tweaks and tricks. As a result, I changed my "Start" button to say "WinDoze"

http://albn.neg.be/screenie.jpg

I might try some others as well just for kicks and giggles.

It's easy just open regedit. Go to edit -> find
    In the "find what" box type "Recycle Bin" (without the quotes). Make sure all the checkboxes are checked. Click Find. Now modify the default value to the name you want to give to the Recycle Bin, You may also want to change the Infotip.