Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best version of LINUX?

What is the best version of LINUX?

I am lokking at buying redhat Linux and I am wondering what the best version is for newbies? Thanks.
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

This is a security forum.
    The best place to ask this question imho is linuxquestions.org
    Another opinion I have is that there is no suck thing as 'the best linux'.
    You can obtain various versions of *nix on linuxiso.org.

Furthermore this question has been asked a dozen times before.
    You could search the forums for the previous discussions.

U r damn right noODle!

Just a question: Isn't Linux free? Does u all buy ur distros?
    I downloaded Redhat, densk for free... I'd not like to be in illegal situation...
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    The only one worth buying is Suse...cause its that damn good and all the rest are practically free
    Second the others here are so very right... Linux distros is like going to a personal tailor..
    Get what fits you most...

Oh yes, lots of threads here covered this topic before, please use the search function..

Anyway download distros here : http://www.linuxiso.org for free
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

I had Red Hat Linux Professional 8.0 installed with Win XP. Within one month they released a new version.

I like it but I am too lazy to learn. Until now I still don't know how to install softwares in Linux. There are many things I can't do with Linux & that is why I am using Win XP most of the time.

Never heard about RPM shakira?
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Banned
    i think for newbies the best version is Mandrake Linux any late version...since RedHat is for more advanced user....so i recommend start with Mandra then go onto RedHat

I recommend Mandrake a lot more then redhat. Once you get a little more familliar with linux, move onto a better OS like Slackware. Linux is all about configuration, flavors like Redhat IMHO take away from that and leave users thinking, "hey, it is working, i'm all done" and nothing gets learned. Familliarize yourself with routine tasks in Mandrake, then move on.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

er0k
    Originally posted here by MemorY
    i think for newbies the best version is Mandrake Linux any late version...since RedHat is for more advanced user....so i recommend start with Mandra then go onto RedHat
    redhat is every bit as easy as mandrake.

I`ve tried RedHat , Mandrake and SuSE ( i am newbie ).. i think u should buy the SuSE ....