Thread: Microsoft Forms New AV Partnerships

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Microsoft Forms New AV Partnerships

REDMOND, Wash. -- May 19, 2003 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced the formation of the Virus Information Alliance (VIA) with Network Associates Inc. and Trend Micro Inc. This new program is designed to help Microsoft customers obtain timely and relevant information about the latest virus threats affecting Microsoft® technology. The new resource for Microsoft customers addresses the need for a centralized resource of reliable information about high-risk viruses, saving customers critical time in identifying and deploying the correct preventive measures to defend against virus threats.

The alliance with Network Associates' AVERT( (Anti-Virus Emergency Response Team) and Trend Micro TrendLabs (TM) will enable Microsoft customers to be kept informed about critical malicious code and Internet threats, including a full assessment of the threat based on the collective research results of the VIA, through a TechNet Web page located at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...us/default.asp.
    To read the complete article, click here: Microsoft PressPass

I think this is nice, but I'm not sure how much it will help. The users who are insecure or ignorant of security will also remain ignorant of this new resource. You have to first realize that security exists and then make an effort to find a resource like this to help you.

I didn't see whether they will offer email alerts or not. I don't know if we need yet another email alert list for users, but for the home user market I think getting virus alerts from Microsoft would pull some weight and possibly get them to do something.

For users that DO visit this resource, it seems like they have a decent amount of useful information on it: Microsoft Virus Protection Strategies although not very timely- the latest info they have is on Slammer with no reference to either Fizzer or Palyh/Mankx. Hopefully this new alliance will help them stay more current on the existing threats.

I think this is nice, but I'm not sure how much it will help. The users who are insecure or ignorant of security will also remain ignorant of this new resource. You have to first realize that security exists and then make an effort to find a resource like this to help you.
    Unforunately you are damn right. No one or at least of 95% concerns with security and the worst is that they do not want to know about. Only when the things go really bad start shaking and feel the fear of the work they might loose. Well this is good for people that they work as AV admins...keep us with work.

For users that DO visit this resource, it seems like they have a decent amount of useful information on it: Microsoft Virus Protection Strategies although not very timely- the latest info they have is on Slammer with no reference to either Fizzer or Palyh/Mankx. Hopefully this new alliance will help them stay more current on the existing threats.
    Although is true is ironic as well that such serious matters not to be given serious attention yet from Microsoft. So we hope that this alliance will solve their problems?
    That was all folks!
    http://www.virusinfo.bz/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I never thought of it before this ,but microsoft bundles and integrates so much useless crap into there products .Why have they not bundled security advice and an anti virus ? you would think doing that would save them money and headaches, how many customers do you think call them every day cause "my computer don't work and i don't know why but ..........."

I remember DOS 6.22 included anti-virus. No updates were ever released.

Hopefully they will release 'free' updates. Wonder how users with non-registered products will fair ?

Talking MS + AV = Headaches

I never thought of it before this ,but microsoft bundles and integrates so much useless crap into there products .Why have they not bundled security advice and an anti virus ? you would think doing that would save them money and headaches, how many customers do you think call them every day cause "my computer don't work and i don't know why but ..........."
    If you think these words you said logically you will see that this never will happen. They cannot bundle an AV software due to the fact that they will have to maintain it. So let's say that they had bundled AV on Windows 95, a decade ago. A decade ago there was no such hassle about virus. Worms had not appeared yet. So imagine all these W95 yet clients what would do with a useless AV product embedded on their OS? Nothing. Things with worms changing on a daily basis and Microsoft would never cope with these kinds of updates. Moreover AV products tend to not like Windows OS'es....at least in critical servers or cluster servers still is a headache to implement an AV solution.
    In conclusion I could write a book about why MS would not embedd an AV solution to its products but I will leave this to your imagination.

That was all folks!
    http://www.virusinfo.bz/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Originally posted here by dcongram
    I remember DOS 6.22 included anti-virus. No updates were ever released.

Hopefully they will release 'free' updates. Wonder how users with non-registered products will fair ?
    I remember hearing how bad M$ antivirus software was.