Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hidden ip on IRC?

I'd beg to differ Isotronics, Hiding is a big part of security, because what you can't see you can't attack. A real life example of this is in the Army...they have Bullet proof armour available..that dosn't mean that can walk around in bright pink Uniforms..
    If hiding isn't important then why do Firewalls now incorperate Stealth technology? Not responding to Ping's is a way of hiding, but your partialy right, hiding isn't every thing...you still need to harden your system.

As for the question in this thread, I don't think you can hide your IP very effectivly on IRC because of the Servers checking for Proxies, how ever, you can harden your system...that way you shouldn't really be needing to hide....

just my 2 cents...

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

okay people heres the thing wtih hiding ur ip on irc....first of all some servers provide a +x mode. it depends on the server. hybrid does not provide this and an admin must put an I line in order to get a spoof. wingates and proxies rarely work because most servers use active proxy monitors. a bnc is your best solution....many are cheap for about one dollar a month.

whats a bnc? brittish naval connector for a coax cable?
    -Simo

a bnc hides ur ip by routeing your connection through another server. you install the bnc software on that server (usually psybnc or muh) and you connect to the bnc. once you connect to it like you would to a server you can have it join servers. it will show the ip of the bnc instead of the ip for you. bnces usually have some pretty cool vhosts along with it like hit.me.with.your.slap-stick.co.uk

Re: hidden ip on IRC?

Originally posted here by Simo
    im looking for a way to hide my ip on irc i tried they /mode UserName +x but it still dosent work.
    i use mIRC if that helps
    This is what you need to do to hide your ip on *.undernet.org

First you need to register with CService at http://www.cservice.undernet.org/live/

After you've done all that and connect with an undernet.org server do the following

/msg X@channels.undernet.org login username password
    /mode username +x

wa la your ip should now be hidden with an undernet mask.

Sabro

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi again

Noia Said:
    I'd beg to differ Isotronics, Hiding is a big part of security, because what you can't see you can't attack. A real life example of this is in the Army...they have Bullet proof armour available..that dosn't mean that can walk around in bright pink Uniforms..

Forgive me to beg back, but allow me to explain something.

If your a windows user, then there are ways of seeing your real ip. An example is if you connect to msn chat, whilst logging in, your real ip is displayed, not the proxied one. If your in a lan connecting to the internet, then it would even show your 192.168.x.x ip. Windows broadcasts your real IP address. In addition to this, thats not what proxies are made for. I personally call this solution an abuse of proxies. [gloworange]The other thing that might happen then is, since you behind a proxy or any other form of anonymity, [/gloworange] [gloworange]your security gets weak, since you think that being anonymous will keep you safe. Then you will not bother to use real security (security through obscurity). [/gloworange] I would really consider actually securing your computer first as well as you can, and at the very end add the proxy use or the BNC as a little extra. But make sure that your computer is safe without the use of any proxies. Just incase the proxy has problems, then at least you have some sort of security.

My point is dont rely on anonymity for security. Anonymity is not security. Have a general look here on AO what you can come up with when it comes to securing your computer. Let me give you a little but simple list of what is essential when it comes to security. From there on, use google and AO to get the details on how to setup and manage each one.

1 - Firewall

2 - Antivirus

3 - Backups

4 - Strong Passwords

5 - Updates and patches

6 - Logging

7 - Actually read the logfiles

The reason why im not going into much detail here on each point is because i have answered this many times before on AO and so have others. So use AO's search feature and also use the tutorials forums to get the fine detail.

Another reason why using someone elses proxy server or BNC is not a good idea when it comes to security. Since you using someone elses proxy or BNC (someone elses computer) all the information goes through there. So that owner of the proxy server or the BNC could easily see what your actions are. Many proxy servers and BNC Servers belong to the government acting as "traps" to see what your really doing. Its madness to trust a proxy server that you find on the net.

Take my advice and forget about the anonymity thing. Its doesnt offer any security.

Or like mentioned, here, if you can get the irc server to give you a vhost ( +x), then its cool, but remember, if you use dcc chat or dcc send files or recieve any, your REAL IP is wide open

This post is a rough copy paste that i have made in an earlier post on the same subject.

Good luck.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

well...I never said Anonymity was the perfect solution, and it's not by far, but you can't shoot what you can't see thus it's a great security feature, how ever, not always possible...I agree that hardening your system is Alpha Omega, but hidding your system will also help (once it's hardend) for example...say I have the perfect security...nothing can hack it...I proxy into some place....and for some reason I get DDoS'd, now...my proxy goes down....but I don't loose my Distro-download that I'v been waiting to finish for the past hours the idea is...you may be as secure as you want...but if you can hide as well...it's an Extra bonus...

- Noia

Edit: eep! forgot to mention DCC's....true....DCC's are DIRECT CONNECTIONS thus you will circumvent any Proxies (as far as I know) but I think....in theory you should be able to Proxy them too.....only problem might be that the Proxy will likely have a bigger Bandwidth than you, and your DCC's might go all funny... oh well

Theres no real point in Hiding in IRC though...or none that I can come up with
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    but hidding your system will also help (once it's hardend)
    I agree with that fully. On the other hand, i was also trying to "guide" our new friend here, thinking that he maybe relying only on hiding for security, which is wrong. I'll admit, that when I go on irc, i use a remote shell, or a proxy myself most of the times. But, i dont rely on it to be more safe

Cheers
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

If you are using an undernet server, make an undernet user at http://cservice.undernet.org.
    then use: /msg x@channels.undernet.org login <user_name> <password> and after that
    /mode <nickname> +x. Now user_name.undernet.org will become your hidden host.

Using a bnc is not something that will really protect you, becuse your bnc can be flooded from a high speed server. so you can be kicked out of the irc network even if you have a bnc.

nice post instronics , but if some want 2 keep his ip hidden from users / admins in irc can use any anonymous proxy ...
    and Simo , if u just wanna hide ur IP from other clients in the server , u can ask some ircoperator in the server if he can change ur host ....

Heya guys .... what is this DDoS ?????