Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AO Flood Issue

AO Flood Issue

I took a quick look and thought this would be an ok spot to put this. But after sivlelive little rant on our board, I think something needs to be done. As I know is already probably in the works, I just wanted to post something so everyone could voice their thoughts. There needs to be a catch in the posting system that especially looks for the same Subject and Message from one user over a short period of time. I think that would have solved the problem if something would have been in place to check for that.

Also I think that if someone kept trying to post the same message/subject over and over, they should be banned for ATLEAST a few days, or some sort of action taken. sivlelive was being stupid, and we just need to see that and make the effort not to let it happen again.

I mean does what I'm saying make sense, does anyone agree?

~ AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Maybe just make a time limit between each new topic you post.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Guys,

Any thing JUPM decides to do will take them some time... but is good that we write our ideas here so they can now what we think.

Nice thread AciDriveHB and hope more members post here...

Bye,

DKRR

PS: i can't understand why is taking so much time to bann that guy...

Dead Man Walking
    I got to agree with you guys here. I know some of my threads havent been the best but it just amazes me how idiotic some people are. Everytime i start getting down on my self i look at threads like sivlelive 's post ( am i the only one who noticed that spells evil elvis backwards?) suddenly i feel better about my self. On a serious side is it possible froma programing standpoint to actualy do something like that. I know in theory just about anything is possible so i should say feasable(*sp)?if so im all for it.

There needs to be a catch in the posting system that especially looks for the same Subject and Message from one user over a short period of time. I think that would have solved the problem if something would have been in place to check for that.
    Yes but as with everything computer related, you get the exact output that you have for your input...in other words, one letter changed in his title and it would have been useless anyway. And he may not be a genius, but it's not going to take anyone long to figure that out.

As far as banning him for a few days...he's banned. The AP system worked as it was meant to for a change. And as far as it taking a long time...what, an hour? That's not that bad, considering (and no offense to MsM or Neg, we know you have lives too) that if it had been left up to human moderation, it could have been 6-12 hours before anything was done about it.

I don't think it really happens enough for JupM to make it a high priority. Between human moderation, and AP moderation, he had a very short-lived run on the main page. His "15 minutes of fame" so to speak, and now he's gone.

Edit: I did think of one thing that would be a bit of an improvement, but forgot to put it in the post the first time. It would be cool if the threads that went suicidal weren't on the main page anymore, cause this guy is banned, but now we've still got his crap all over the main page, and several of them are suicidal. THAT I think would be well worth the time, because if a thread has been killed by the forum, it shouldn't be on the main page anymore, IMO.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

AO Part Timer
    This idea may keep me from posting on the front page for sometime, but how about earning the right to do it?. I mean there are several other layers of discussion in this site, I know the front page is the most commonly used, but something does in fact need to be done. I have made a few dumb posts, but I am a n00b still. At least to this community. Perhaps put into place a must read, and then a test over the 101 on our forums. If they pass they can post.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Dead Man Walking
    theres a good idea. make all new members take a test based on the site faq and common sense. If they dont pass they dont get in. I like it dopey

I posted a simlar idea here.

Though it got little feedback. It would have possibly helped to prevent this little episode...

Ah well...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Old Fart
    Given the fine jobs done by Neg and MsMittens (genuine compliment, not sarcasm), I would lean towards a couple more moderators IF it can be done in a way that is economically feasable on Jupiter's end.

OR....

Give the admins and mods the ability to "insta-ban" idiots like this one.

OR....

Turn on the IP logging and we can start sending Guido and Vinnie out to "kneecap" the lamerz.

/me visualizes sivlelive waking up with a bloody horse's head laying on his keyboard.....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

hey just to add about people posting, sure the "thought" wouldn't work if someone changed their screen name, but what if the system actually looked to the person's IP address? Sure that might screw some people up coming from a corporatoin, but it wasn't an exactly worked out thought, but along those lines... you know what I mean?

Yeah I know this might not be a high priority, or even something that JupM cares about right now. But if it happens again, or more, at least we started a thread and started the thought process. Maybe someone will find this later and add on to it?

Thanks guys,
    AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]