Thread: Malware Myths and Misinformation

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Malware Myths and Misinformation

This Security Focus article is *definately* worth a read. Anyone who has been in this industry for a good deal of time will certainly appreciate this.

Happy reading!

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1695
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Did someone.... finally...... wake up and smell the coffee??????

Nice read, thanks Hoss....<s>
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yes an excellent read...

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yep, it looks like hope has been renewed for me. I hope that everyone who looks at this post takes the time to read the article. It addresses 75% of the questions that get repeated here in one way or the other.

I have been preaching most of what is in the article for years now. I'm glad others out there see things the way I do. I don't feel much like a raving nut anymore...wait a minute...LOL.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Originally posted here by thehorse13
    I don't feel much like a raving nut anymore...wait a minute...LOL.

--TH13
    Let's not go overboard here Hoss......

Seriously though, the fact that anyone is dumb enough to sit back and believe that "their" OS has no holes in it is about as intelligent as the people I meet that tell me they know everything about computers......... <ROFLMAO>. There is simply too much to learn about any single OS let alone multiple OS'.... Heck I run a "plain jane" Win2k WAN of about 650 workstations with 5 employees to help. We each have an area of "specialization" since I don't have the luxury of enough time/money to properly cross-train. In my situation if I tried to properly cross-train I would end up with a group of mediochre "know-alls". As it is I have an excellent LAN/Server OS chap, an excellent Administrative/Tech gal, and excellent programmer chap, a good Help Desk gal, a good Network Admin for 2 of the more remote sites and I do the WAN/Internet/Security stuff.

People are way too trusting....... Always remember that being paranoid does not mean they _aren't_ out to get you and with any human created thing there will always be a human that will find a way to break it........... I don't care if it's a super-secure *nix distro or whatever.... If you situate the box where others can get at it physically or virtually then there is the potential for a hole....... If the potential is there it will be found if someone wants it badly enough.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Dead Man Walking
    I do a little bit of computer work for family and freinds and when they ask me for a fool proof way to keep hackers and viruses out i simply tell them "if you dont want to be a risk dont connect to the internet" when they look at me shocked i sit down and explain to them that NO security plan is completely secure. If somebody wants in bad enough they will eventualy find a way. I realy enjoyed reading this article. Thank you very much

Actually a better statement would be..."A fool proof way to not get hacked is unplug the power on your computer!"

This is more true for a business where there are hackers that have local access to the machines, but I guess if a home users kid brings a disk home from school, you still don't have to be connected to the internet to get a virus.

Dead Man Walking
    good point meloncholy. I was speaking more form the data theft standpoint than the virii when i said dont connect to the internet. allthough you did help me demonstrate my point that nothing is ever COMPLETELY secure.