Thread: Nmap

Nmap

I've just downloaded Nmapwin to scan my network for vulnerabilities. But every time I run nmap it tells me that the host I scanned appears to be down, and to try the scan again without pinging.

I tried that but it just sits there and does nothing.
    Just for the hell of it I nmapped a server where I keep my website at, and had the same problem.

Any Ideas?
    =

Hmm, could it be you didnt install it properly, or the install somehow became corrupted? You might want to reinstall Nmapwin and try again to scan something. If that doesn't work, perhaps you might want to try a different port scanner like ScanLine, SuperScan, or LANguard. Also, could there be another program like a firewall that is preventing Nmapwin from scanning?
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

as far as installing goes, make sure you installed winpcap (this is an extra step, and is not done at the initiall nmap install) ?

and for the non-ping option, this is very likely that your web-hoster drops all ping packets (many sites/servers do this)...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I tried that but it just sits there and does nothing.
    Nmap takes a few minutes to report back the scan try the -v switch to get verbose out put when your running it. Leave it for a few minutes and see if that does the job also if it doesnt work Syini666 provide some links to more win based scanner's other than that try insecure.org and read through some of the mailing lists your answer may lie there
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Yeah when I first installed Nmap and tried to run it, it said that I needed Winpcap which I did installed, but maybe the install became messed up after that point.

I'll give that a shot.

I did give Nmap several minutes but still noting came up, and my internet connection was not being used when I was running it.
    =

cheyenne.
    The message that nmap gives you (it appears the host is down) is the result you get from nmap.
    Assumin you scan a machine that you administer I would suggest trying to scan the machine again but with the firewall down.
    When I scan my sygate protected Windows 2000 it always comes up with that message. It just means the machine has some form of protection and is not responding to the probes. (can you ping the machine ?)
    You can speed up the scan by using the -T option where 0 is paranoid (slow) and 4 is insane (fast).
    The -v option is good, you can even use it twice to give you extreme verbose output (-vv)
    I hope this helps you.

I took down the firewall but still got the same message tried the -v switch and the -t option and still nothig worked I'll try one of those other port scanners.

I also uninstalled nmap, and reinstalled with the winpcap already installed.
    =