Thread: Router Question...

Router Question...

Question for my networking homework....

A router performs two basic funtions... They are:

The _______ funtion allows a router to accept a packet on one interface and forward it on a second interface.

The ________ funtion enables the router to select themost appropriate interface for forwarding a packet.

These answers are probably easy but I just can't think of them...;

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Thread moved from Antionline: How do I? to Newbie Security**

Have you checked Google
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dead Man Walking
    if this is for your homework as in school type stuff maybe you should consider looking in your text book.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Here ya go cheater

The switching function allows a router to accept a packet on one
    interface and forward it on a second interface.

The path determination function enables the router to select
    the most appropriate interface for forwarding a packet.

By the way, your teacher is taking your homework questions from the Cisco exams so if you ever plan on getting the certification, you really should learn this stuff. I recognized the questions the second I saw them.

-TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thehorse: CISCO wrote those questions??? They are silly & I disagree with definitions:
    (but maybe it is a langage pb since english is not my mother tongue)

- swithing is specific to MAC layer interface (IEEE) or ATM or frame relay or X25 .... A router could have only PPP/serial interface & then can not switch anything. A ROUTER IS NOT A SWITCH!!!
    To me Switching is specific to layer 2 of the OSI model

- Is path determination specific to routers? Defenitly not! e.g. Spanning Tree Algorithm

To me router definition is:
    Router perform path determination in respect with the frame IP header (maybe it can be generalized to layer 3 OSI Model)
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

I know, I know but yes, these questions are found in the Cisco practice exams. If you read on, the definitions are specific to Cisco. They go on to give the technical details of the function much the same way you have.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

To Networker:

Routers do not only work with serial/ppp connections. Modern routers work with all types of connections, protocols, and connection types. Even the older serial routers could have multiple serial ports that required using the switching function for. Without that capability then a router would be a cul de sac.

All that is at play here is a definition of terms. I agree that rather than calling it the switching function it should be the routing function since routers work at layer three (as do many high end switches). Classical switching is indeed seen as layer two but in reality this originally was referred to as bridging. A pure layer two switch could easily be referred to as a multi-port bridge. Just like a layer three switch could be referred to as a Hardware configured router (since it uses ASICs for most of the routing parameters and is less configurable than a true router).

Lets face it, with the advent of ASICs, higher powered processors and advancements in network and computer technology the lines are blurring even more than they were before. Also, since the term switching is not a standardized term (i.e. not defined specifically by RFP or accepted Standard) it must be taken in context. A phone switch does not do the same function as a layer 2 switch which is different than a layer 3 switch which has nothing to do with the router's switching function.

I am sure that it can be made even more confusing if we looked at the terminology of other router manufacturers. Fortunately, or unfortunately, Cisco holds enough of a market that in the context of routers their definition almost becomes the de jure standard even if it is not a de facto standard.

P.S.
    Xtra, do your own homework. You'll learn more, have greater pride in your accomplishment, and thehorse13 won't be there to feed you the answers at your cert test.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Thanks for the help thehorse13! Both answers were right. The answers were only for a study guide but I couldn't find them in the curriculem. I was most likely looking in the wrong chapter. I'm only in Cisco 2 so I still have another year to catch up on everything.

You're welcome but that is the only freebie you're gonna get. Take the time to understand what you are doing. You'll learn *a lot* more that way. Answers are just meaningless words unless you understand what they mean.

(Speach over - dismount soapbox)

Anyway, welcome to AO.

filter and nat?

-w0rm3y