Alternative to MS Exchange

Thread: Alternative to MS Exchange

Question Alternative to MS Exchange

My ogranization is looking for an alternative solution to MS Exchange. We are currently using sendmail as our email server on a linux server. We are looking for the calendaring and groupware features of Exchange. Are there any other open source and even non open source solutions?

http://www.pressi.com/at/release/46912.html

Prochange emerging as an open-source alternative to Microsoft Exchange Server

(PRESSI.COM 2002-05-02) Microsoft Exchange Server has rapidly gained ground in a large number of companies. It is a versatile messaging and collaboration solution which works as a mail server and makes it possible to share calendars, book a meeting room, et cetera. Exchange can also function as a customer register. Both Exchange Server and its client Microsoft Outlook work on the Windows platform only.
    although i'm not sure if this will work for you?

If you don't mind the cost there is the old stand by of Lotus Notes/CC:Mail or Novell groupwise
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Just Another Geek
    Lotus Notes has everything (and more) Exchange/outlook can do. It's also great to prevent the spread of those awfull MAPI virusses. Lotus Notes doesn't use Mapi
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

If you already own Novell server licensing...go with groupwise. The latest version is on par with Exchange/Outlook, and is included with Netware. I'd definetly choose the latest version though. If you don't have a Novell structure...I'd have to say SuSE openExchange would be my vote.

Personaly I am partial to Notes, but I am not up on the latest versions. I am assumeing most of these have something close to owa is this correct?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Banned
    Suse Linux makes a good Email server for only $999.00 USD. I've never used it per-se but I have heard only good things. We also are looking to replace exchange with a more robust, cost-effective system.

We purchased the Oracle collaboration suite. It is supposed to do everything exchange does at a fraction of the cost. They have both windows and Linux versions. You dont even have to pay for the software its free from oracle, but each license is 60.00 (which is still cheaper than MS)

BUT YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. The linux version will ONLY run on RH advanced server, which retails for 999.00 USD. Both the linux and windows versions are extreamly picky about HW requirements, and are VERY VERY VERY hard to install and configure. Ours is still not up n running, and oracles tech support is useless.