Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Government Layoff

Unhappy Government Layoff

Welp. . . . Im screwed. I got layed off today. The government is cutting back their Security workforce because they don't have enough money to pay us. The people that were supose to get cut were those with write-ups. Well.....I am one of the Supervisors. . .I have no writeups. . . . They got rid of me because im 23 and make almost $50,000 a year. Its just not right. I've worked at that f****** airport for four years. I don't know what to do. Im just too upset right now to do anything about it.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

I'm sorry to hear that RogueSpy.

It happens to the best of us. But... don't think of it as loosing a job... you are still going to collect some $$ until you find another job. Being only 23 and making that kind of $$... I'm really impressed. You must have grabbed quite a bit of experience. The only one loosing out here is the .gov They lost a talented individual such as yourself. Just don't take it personal.

You will move on and find another job. With that kind of experience... doors are open to you.

Just take some time to collect yourself and realize that this might open more doors for you and may land you a better job than you had before. Making more $$ than you did before. (though that shouldn't be a main concern as long as you love your line of work)

You are now a free agent and are getting paid to look for a job. Many people out there have no job nor the experience that you have.

I have done some searching and there is no shortage of security jobs for people with experience that you have. Not to mention that it looks really good that you worked for .gov.
    That shows quite a bit of trust and maturity that most people our age don't have. (I am around your age.)

Good luck to you whichever path you choose next. Not that you're going to need it...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks for your support. It helps a lot.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Rogue, I know how you feel. I was hit by the layoff bullet about 4 years ago. I had worked for the company (in one capacity or another) for 23 years when they decided "security" was not in their immediate business plans. (not sure what they were thinking???). Anyways I went through a process which is almost like the grieving process when someone dies. First disbelief, then anger, then acceptance, I am sure you will go through this too. Once the smoked cleared for me, I set out to find something better, and I did (much better). The bottom line here is, move on, look for a place you really want to work and pursue it, that's what I did and I can tell you, I wish it (the layoff) had happened sooner as I am far better off where I am now.

Good luck mate.

As a side note, the company that laid me off after 23 years is no longer in business....there is justice in the world.
    DjM

Yeah, Im still in shock. . . I will be for a while. So were the managers. This was not their decission. This came from DC. The names of those that were laid off were not sent till yesterday. . . . They let them know today. Honestly. . .I think they seen my age. . . . and my income. . . and said cut the sob. Nothing I can do about it though. It's sort of a relief actually. My job was getting very very stressful. Like loosing sleep. . . . and stuff like that. And with me being diabetic. . . that dosn't help. This has affected me greatly. Maybe if I can find something dealing with my major I would be ok.

Hey,
    RogueSpy it's very sad to hear that . Just like what phishphreek80 said it's for the best, They lost a very helpful/Nice/Talented/Down to earth/Smart/ and over all good person. It's very sad to hear this...... Hopefully you get a better job then the one you where at!!!!! I will put you into my prayers, and hope for the best........Cya -d00d-
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

i do understand your position but i don't feel for you... I am also 23..

came to this country w/out speaking the lang.
    I worked hard-ass construction jobs since then (age 16) like pouring concrete...
    paying for shitty community collage (when I can) I wish I had parent to pay for my certs.
    I have more exp. their my shool's ancient sys-admin (that's why it's community collage)
    I got to skip whole courses base on C programming test that the head of the department gave me..

Right now I'm working in fashion industry which I hate, hate hate... I'm making cloths for chirist's sake & you should see my co-workers

I'm tight w/ money everymonth if I don't pull OT in this shitty job of mine....

how do you like that...?? sound's pathetic huh...

but you know what... I started a company... during christmas I built 7 gaming systems for ppl I know. I advertise in laundromats and restaurants...work troubeshoot and fix on my own... My cell-phone is my office... And I do that in my spare time...

So no offence... but shut-up and quit bitching... You are only 23... but if you only worked for the GOV you don't know anything about the "real" workforce and "real" corporate america..

you know what ... i do feel for you... but don't worry 'bout it ... maybe you need some time in a lumber industry.. to work of that potbelly you got at the airport playing quake

Originally posted here by kombinant

I worked hard-ass construction jobs since then (age 16) like pouring concrete...
    paying for shitty community collage (when I can) I wish I had parent to pay for my certs.
    I have more exp. their my shool's ancient sys-admin (that's why it's community collage)
    I got to skip whole courses base on C programming test that the head of the department gave me..

Right now I'm working in fashion industry which I hate, hate hate... I'm making cloths for chirist's sake & you should see my co-workers

but you know what... I started a company... during christmas I built 7 gaming systems for ppl I know. I advertise in laundromats and restaurants...work troubeshoot and fix on my own... My cell-phone is my office... And I do that in my spare time...

So no offence... but shut-up and quit bitching... You are only 23... but if you only worked for the GOV you don't know anything about the "real" workforce and "real" corporate america..

you know what ... i do feel for you... but don't worry 'bout it ... maybe you need some time in a lumber industry.. to work of that potbelly you got at the airport playing quake
    LMAO! ! ! That was a pathetic excuse of a post. You dont ****ing know me. You don't know where I came from. You dont know how ****ing hard it was for me before I got this job. So shut your pie hole. My parents didn't pay for one damn cent of my College education or anything. I paid for it all. You better step back and know your **** before you unleash on someone. You know what. . . I've probably worked harder jobs than you will ever think about working. I worked my way up from the very bottom. You can do the same. So get a ****ing grip! ! !

yeah whatever.. at least I got a job...

so why don't you tell me your "story" cinderella, but you won't do that will you...

but i wanna make some clarification

1. no i don't know you.. and never said you didn't deserve this job...
    2. i never said that I've more skills then you or that I could do a better job then you... but you never know
    3. I'm not attacking you personally at all...

but

1. i am attacking your whinnig... there's ppl out there who would do your job for 2/3 of your salary probably even less, so get w/ the program. you are (sorry, WERE) lucky enough to do what you love (you do love it, otherwise you wouldn't be here, right??) for 4 years w/ a good pay!? think about that. maybe they got somebody cheaper.. hmmm

2. don't bitch that they fired you 'cause you are too young, if it's true... SUE THEM... it's illegal

3. I'm willing to bet you got the job cause you know somebody... I have personally experience w/ governmnet's hiring technique

so whatever, you windows user, less competition for the computer literate w/ cojones

DO U THINK WE CARE!!!!!!!! I can't believe my eyes............ How can u be so cold hearted.............. Let me add something, How did u do in middle school? how did u do in high school? How did u do in collage? WHAT GRANGES DID U GET?!?!?!?!?!?!?? If you add those up, IT WAS YOU MAKING YOUR OWN BED, MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE CONSIDER doing good in school...... That is what made you today. As you can tell RogueSpy did good in school, and fought to get to the top. But look what happens all he's hard work go down the drain. How do u think how he feels???? Then you flame him after he shares this with us, and u make it worst......... Condersider thinking about that..... ....... Sorry I had to flame everyone but I can't believe this . As I said good luck Roguespy.
    Cya and have a good day!!!!!!!!
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD