Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What linux distribution do you use?

What linux distribution do you use?

This is something that i've asked myself for some time. What linux distribution should i use? I've used until now redhat 6.1 and slacware 9.0

Red hat 8.0 is good for server sort of things, if u are beginner or intermediate user go for Mandrake or susi.lastly its ones own like or dislike for things that come into front basicakally all have same kernel

I have been using RedHat9.0.

But since you have already used slackware and RH I suggest go to a *BSD such as OpenBSD, NetBSD, or FreeBSD.

www.openbsd.org www.netbsd.org www.freebsd.org
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

The Iceman Cometh
    No offense intended, but why not search the forums? This has been covered more times than I can count (hell, there's even a link to one in the similar threads at the bottom of this thread). I think, if you search the forums, you'll find a number of excellent responses to which distributions individuals use and why they use them.

AJ

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    yup avdven is right...

Btw i use gentoo and suse....
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

I've used Red Hat 8.0 for quite a long time, it's great, you can secure it quite well. But you could have a look to Knoppix 3.2 as well (www.knopper.net), a Debian(unstable)-based linux distribution. It's quite complete.

slack and gentoo

currently RH 7 - games server
    have only played with RH6-7, Mandrake 9 (looked good for a windows guy), Lycorsis (give me windows)

And this is from a person who is not really into linux.. I am checking things out.. suppose working on a SCO- Unix server don't count huh (ok i replace a bloody cooling fan in the sys-and it was when i had less grey hair)

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I use SuSE 8.1 and RedHat 9. I prefer RH 9 though, so i use it more than SuSE.

<edit> 8:02 Pm

Ouch, i prefer RH 9 and i get negged. (i still like SuSE you know)

I started using Linux about 2 months ago , but right now im using Mandrake 9.0
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."