Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What linux distribution do you use?

I`ll skip a full OS history as that would take too long.. as for Linux, right now I use Libranet (so Debian) which I have found it to be very stable and all around a good OS.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Originally posted by Thing
    I wouldnt go for mandrake... i think it wont be a real linux experience.
    There are many of us out there that would disagree with this comment.

I use Mandrake and love it, it does what I want, when I want and is stable and secure along with being well supported. You can make it as easy or as hard as you want.

One of the great advantages of Mandrake is that it does gently break in the average Windows user into the world of Linux ... cant be a bad thing for those starting out with *nix.

For the real linux feel, try an expert text install of Mandrake or any of the other GUI install based distro's. Get down and dirty with the commandline.

Kudo's to those who use the source based distro's like Gentoo, Sorcerer, MageSource et al... if I had access to a high speed connection I would probably look down that path also .....

Hmm... I use Red Hat since version 6.2 and I like it the most.But I have already used SuSe and Mandrake and they are good too, but i prefer Red Hat. At the moment I have Red Hat 9.

man i use slack 9.0 and works fine...but who cares what distros do we use??
    here's another question : what is the big difference between all theese distros??
    slack : fast & stable
    rh : user friendly (?)
    free bsd : very fast
    peanut : very small but has X on it..and works fine from what i've heard

i might be wrong...

I use RedHat and Debian. One of my friend swears by Slackware.

i'm running Redhat 8.0 and FreeBSD 4.8 on my vmware laptop. at work, all Redhat 9.

-w0rm3y

I went through several linuxes and stuck with freebsd and the attached jpeg is why (intended as humor) its wee bit racy ,so now you have been warned.

Lightbulb

well.. as many said.. u better start with mandrake and then advance to other version..
    till getting there u may need to get some basics.. for exemple know the command lines and other staff.. the easy way i would recommend is to keep ur windows if ur new so u can get rid of both Linux and Windows when necassary without much trouble.. if u have win98 or less and wanna install with it 2K(XP or 2000 or even 2003) then install 98 first.. then put 2k after that u may proceed to installing Linux..
    Before starting all that "*"(hell)"*" u better devide ur hard drive to diffrent partitions 2or3 deppending on the number of the OS(Operating Sysytems) u wanna install..

I hope m not repeating what was said previously in the forums.. Have fun.. and don't forget that 98Se or 98 don't know ext2 or ext3 or NTFS pertiontion..
    Ciao
    Toka Koka: To receive a reward, an equivalent sacrifice has to be made!

I just installed Mandrake 9.1 on my laptop, and boy has it matured since it's early days! 9.1 is the first version to "natively" support the NTFS, and has no trouble resizing an earlier partition. As far as it "not being a true linux experience", I do most of my work in a virtual terminal, and only start up X if I feel like a good game or browsing the web with pics. Other than that, give me my command line and lynx any day!
    I\'m back.

embro1001

If you like the commandline - have a look at links-graphic (its on your CD's), graphical browser for the console ... another reason not to start up X

Some screenshots here if your interested http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clo.../features.html

PP