Thread: Bull Guard?

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Question Bull Guard?

Does anyone know anything about Bull Guard? http://www.bull-guard.com/

One of my Users installed it on his machine, and now wants to remove it.

I'm just curious what it is... I've never heard of it before.

Thank you kindly.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

not wishing to ask a silly question, but have you actually looked at the website you gave??

I don't use the thing myself but it seems to be a combined antivirus and firewall application. I know someone who has used it and they hated it mainly because it kept popping up 'alerts' all the time but otherwise they thought it a good application . Having said that they are a user rather than a geek so I take any opinion they have with a large pinch of salt - whether bullguard is any good at protecting a machine or not is a different matter. I supect it isn't that good at doing the job its supposed to but thats just my opinion based on the fact that the more complicated a piece of software gets the more likely it is to be buggy.

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Zone-

Yeah, I looked at the site, but I was just curious if anyone had any practical experience with the software. You know, Like how Bill Gates make Windows seem like the greatest thing since sliced bread, when Linux could kick its ass...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

cool.... as I say not wishing to ask a silly question etc...

As i said I haven't any practical experience with it but just letting you know I have heard of it..... personally I wouldn't trust my data to it but I guess its better than nothing - I'm always mindful of the 'false sense' of security that these things can give a user - especially if they aren't very knowledgable with computers. If I were you I'd take the thing off your users computer and put something half decent on there..... if they do stick with windows then something like one of the dedicated software firewalls might be better - course you could always get them to try linux but is it likely they want to swap?

As for M$.... well Bill would say his products are the best thing since sliced bread.... Steve Jobs says the same thing about Mac's. It's all a matter of marketing. As far as I'm concerned all have their place in computers along with *nix but we'd better not get into this discussion

cheers

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

In response to Bullgard. I've tested bullgard out and ran it through security scans, and quite frankly I'm not impressed at all!!! The firewall did not pass all the scans to start with. Secondly it is bogged down with to many bells and frills.....Its antivirus......middle of the run to say the least. When I uninstalled the software it messed up my registry had to fix that...I emailed Bullgard support and their sales dept with the complaint....to date have not received a reply....It appears their only interested in selling not solving problems.

IMHO-bullguard is bullsh*t. (you could smell that one coming...) It fails to identify the most obvious and prevalent virus running rampant through P2P applications. I wouldn't touch it.

AVG is the free way to go. It catches things that McAfee misses.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson