Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Your Computer Is fUX0r3d?

So Your Computer Is fUX0r3d?

Ok Guy's,

I know what I am doing when working on equipment, but commuicating what I do is my weakness. Writting this tut has a dual purpose, first to assist where I can anyone with hardware problems, second to help me communicate my ideas better. This is part one .. I will post part 2 (and a possable part 3) with in this thread.. If possable in this post..

So Your Computer Is fUX0r3d?

Please Note:
    If you are not sure of what you are doing. Don't attempt any work inside the case of your computer. If you are not aware of the dangers don't touch a screwdriver.
    You have a problem with your computer? A friend or relative has a computer and your the mug called in to fixit.right?

What I am going to layout here are some basics in servicing, be it a computer, printer, television, VCR, or even a car. though it is taylored for Computers.

So where do you start , what steps do you take to either get it going again or get it on the road to recovery?

Regardless of how urgently the equipment is needed a calm approach is the safest method in repairing any equipment. Rushing in and replacing the first and most obvious part may lead to a greater disaster.

1/ Observation : often the most essential step is overlooked.

a/ Carefully observe what is happening.
    b/ Take notes of what you see hear and smell. I joke not about the smell part there are "electronic smells" that are normal and not normal, and there are non-electronic smells that just plain are not normal.

2/ Ask Questions : "Why me" is not considered a servicing question.

a/ What is happening that is the problem;

You would have asked this question already, this is where you decide if you fault-find on a hardware or software path. A word of caution it is not uncommon to have more that one fault causing the problem. i.e. you could have a combination of hardware and software faults. i.e.: faulty cable and an incorrectly installed driver and or application.
    Ok you need to say how different from "normal" is this to see it as a problem. A classic example "My computer is booting slowly". Observation: the memory test of 256Mb on a 2.8Ghz P4 system takes 10 minutes. That is slightly off from normal.

b/ What was the last thing that happened before this problem developed?

i Is there any other symptom I should be looking for here?
    ii Is there any sounds that I should be or had been paying attention to?
    iii Has anything happened to the power?
    iv. What was installed (hardware or software) most recently?
    v. What was I doing just before the failure or last time I used it?
    vi. Is there some warning I have overlooked or ignored? (Cool that buzzing noise has gone at long last)
    vii You will need to use your imagination to continue this list.

c/ From the information I have gathered. Do I think this is hardware or software problem or a combination of both?

Now you work from here.

NOTE:
    When working inside your computer PLEASE beware that there are static sensitive components and normal anti-static procedures are required. Also caution a wrongly pointed finger can be trimmed by hi-velocity blades on cooling fans.
    And DO-NOT remove the covers from the Power Supply Unit (PSU) while it is connected to the mains power. If you don't know what you are doing don't go in here.
    Starting on the Hardware may mean any number of steps to correct the problem. any one or combination of the following:

i disconnecting devices, removing cards/boards and cables and cards
    ii checking the seating of cables and cards (you have tried reseating these cards and memory modules)
    iii measuring voltages and or checking the quality of various power supply rails.
    iv substituting parts. Some times the only way to test something is by replacement if you have asked the right questions prior to this point (and assuming you have a half reasonable knowledge of computer hardware) you should have the problem pretty well narrowed down at this point.

An example:
    Problem: muh puter won't start
    Observation: press the power button. The green light comes on, all fans are running, system gives a single beep, no display, HDD activity, system start-up sounds are normal. But my sexy desktop is not displayed.
    First assumption: either the video card RGBS output is faulty, the monitor is not connected, or I have a faulty monitor.
    At this point we really only have three items to substitute. We could try another video card, we could try another monitor. (I did say three..) You could try the monitor on another system.. You could have weird fault.
    Depending on what you have available will depend on what you try first.
    Cause. Faulty Monitor. Service tech repaired a fault in the CRT board.
    If you have suffered a problem after adding a new device, remove that device.
    Ask: is it this device faulty, is it compatable with the rest of the hardware, is there a problem with the drivers, are the device driver compatable with my O/S..

Because of the wide range of problems, symptoms and causes.. I have found that computer hardware repair is more about asking the right questions, than knowing exactly what is happening in the hardware.. Lateral thinking has fixed more problems than I wish to admitt.. What I mean by that is .. sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Ha, ha , ha!
    I never thought to smell faulties computers ... I will
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Mate muh puter's dead.. sniff sniff hmm char grilled lizard..mmmmm mmm
    dead animals and especially dead lizards in the PSU are the most common summer computer failures..
    hmmm ok now i see the funny side..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    dead animals and especially dead lizards in the PSU are the most common summer computer failures..
    Perhaps in Australia, or something..

But I did once have a couple of dead bumblebees in mah puter..

Also if some error accurs at random and you can't find a way to recreate it, it's usualy a hardware problem..

If an error accurs when you do this-and-that and you are able to recreate the problem, odds are it's a soft ware problem, although I have had some hardware trouble that acted in this fassion..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Und3ertak3r I must copy and paste this one. I like it very much thanks.... it's pretty useful for my friends....

Dead Man Walking
    I must recomend a slight modification. It says do not take the cover off the pwer suply when connected. to be honest somebody who doesnt know what they are doing inside a power suply should never even take the cover off. There are high voltage capacitors and stuff in there that retain a charge even after bing disconected from the wall outlet.

Wow, This is d@mn good information Und3ertak3r all hands down.

Great Post.
    Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    RE: checking voltages.

A power supply cannot be checked without being under a load. Is it the MB that shut the power supply down or is the power supply cooked. If you really want to get into this you can find a power supply testing load at http://www.cyberguys.com
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

You are correct fourdc, working with the hardware I forget that I use a Dummy socket to start the psu, and the normal human being has to fiddle abit.. sry guys..

oh and the link? that seems to be a online retailer? I do have a link for the info that ppl will need.. Will post later

Cheers

Edit: Here is One link I have for running an ATX PSU without the motherboard..Here

translation needed?

hi..
    is a translation in german needed? here in switzerland, only a dead cow can cross your CPU
    and that smells bad indeed..

send it to my friends..

well done..

dude