Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Your Computer Is fUX0r3d?

If you copy the tut and then go to google, on the right of the search page is language tools and you can translate words or whole files between english, german, french, italian and maybe more i only had a quick look.

Only problem is it dosen't keep formatting so it may look a bit hard to read when it comes out!!!
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

More on the Basics.

Ok here is a bit more of the basics. Please note this is more raw from my notes and some topics are out of order to how they should be for logical reading.. But as I said.. I am learning to communicate my ideas..

It is really two parts first the common areas of problems this is more to help when looking at the problem to assist with asking the questions: An assumption is made about static precautions, and being able to identify the parts in a machine. Wher I live it is now illegal for a person without full insurance, correct level of firstaid training and government certification to work on "Equipment with exposed Mains components". Theoreticly it would be illegal for someone just to replace the PSU fan in most computers.

Common areas of Problems in a computer:

Based on the repairs in our Tech-bay:

User/Software (equal first)
    FDD
    CD-ROM/CD-RW
    Video Card/adaptor
    PSU
    Cooling Fans
    Internal modems
    HDD
    Motherboards
    Other Internal hardware
    Common causes of problems:

User
    Dust
    Lack of ventilation/Heat
    Vermin/insects/reptiles
    Random Part Failure
    Lack of use (of the device or even the computer)
    Moisture
    The observation Tools:

Sight:
    What physically is happening: Observable mechanical activity
    Fans, Lights, (year this one is more for printers/optical drives and scanners)
    Things that looks wrong. Cigarette Tar build up
    “Jagged” Cables (damaged) or dodgy constructed
    Electrolytic Capacitors that are heat stressed, Bulged or ruptured
    Heat marks / dark areas black or dark brown. Normally around the hotter components on Motherboard, Video Card and in the PSU.

Signs of habitation by Vermin, Insects. The habitation by these especially the Vermin and reptiles can be extremely destructive.

Checking the colour of the ATX Power plug for discoloured pins. (This is sign of a loose connection, and will cause intermittent lockups and shutdowns of a system)

Smell:

Smoke.. (You know every thing runs on smoke. when the smoke gets out the equipment stops running.)
    The odour of the smoke can give you a hint to the cause. This odour is what gets you to open the case to check out the insides.
    Strange odours such as burnt animal flesh, cooking animal excreta (gee were you enjoying dinner.sry), these pretty much tell of a wonderfull surprise waiting either on the motherboard or in the PSU.

Touch:

Using your sense of feeling. (This is the kinky part; you get a legitimate excuse to show your true feelings to your computer)

Touch is not a very scientific approach. Very handy for checking for excessive temperature on a chip, or helping to see if the PSU fan is working efficiently, well at least pumping a bit of air.
    Caution here: Some devices can get so hot that you will leave your finger print behind to char grill, to add to the interesting aromas emanating from your computers case. And your fingertip will be left with the IC manufacturers Logo.

Sound:

This is more an aid for preventive maintenance.

The groaning, grinding and rattly noises of dieing Cooling fans, and with a clunk or two the early death throws of a HDD.

Next Tut may be on what information you may need to include when posting for help..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r

dead animals and especially dead lizards in the PSU are the most common summer computer failures..
    hmmm ok now i see the funny side..

Cheers
    this only happens if you leave your computer off long enough for something to crawl in. seeing as most people take vacations in the summer, they do turn off their machines....

but not me!

anyway, to keep from lizards and such crawling in (believe it or not, this does happen, esp at night - as they are cold blooded and want to stay warm) you can use a little piece of plastic to go over your Power supply openings, etc. (saran wrap does work) just remember to take it off when you get back from vacation.

is it for real...

is it for real, that we are discussing about dead animals in pc's???
    do viruses, hackattacks and microsoft causing not enough fear and aggression?
    do you think dead animals are our enemie?
    should we genozide all these animals, so no one can reach our computer?

my TUT about "How to handle animals and pc's on the same planet".. and sorry for my bad english
    1. go out and shoot on every animal you see.. maybe it can harm your pc
    2. after that take care the animal is dead for real, so it really couldnt harm your pc.. maybe you should burn the hell out of it, with gasoline..
    3. for bigger animals you should install a self-shot weapon installation with GPRS targetsystem (to be shure that in no case, the animal can reach your house from above (eagles and stuff like that).. maybe you can lend a patriotsystem from mr bush if he has no more wars to fight for freedom, and has pumped the oil out of iraque..
    4. on all windows (talking not about the OS) you should install flamethrowers, so no spider has a chance.. with lasertraps..
    5. if your partner (fe/male friend) shows too much interest on your computer, she/he is maybe an undercoveranimal... kill them too.. they can harm your pc too
    6. finally: isolate your house/flat from the outer world, and never go out again..

and the most important thing
    NO PANIC!!

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Und3ertak3r,

Is that all that molded plug I bought is? Crap was I taken. The "online retailer" sells them, that's where I bought mine, It wasn't an endorsement, just a source.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Besides the PSU.. PPL will leave the blanking plates out this allows for an unimpeded path for most vermin, reptiles and insects

BTW: My Prefered approach for keeping the larger insects and lizards at bay.

Cover the ventilation holes, and any opening with Insect Screening cloth/mesh.. (Fly screen mesh to the Aussies) Hot-melt glued on the inside wher that is the most astheticly appealing or clamped across the openings ie at the rear of the tower..

its effect on airflow is low and can help to trap some dust, some nylon borrowed from the GF or wife will do a better job for dust filtering (on the cheep), but increases the resistance to air flow.. oh an mice love to chew it..
    I am surprised no one commented abot the Moisture ingress.. (common causes - Vermin, pets and p0rn.. )

Cheers..

oh and why post a Hardware Repair Tut.. It is what I know best.. enough ppl have posted requests for help.. And In some enviroments the sysadmin is also required to do the hardware maintanance as well as deal with the software problems and security..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Geez,

I feel bad, I run my tower with the access side panel off all of the time. Of course, I usually chase the cat out before I turn the power on.

Reminds me of the time I had a real strange noise under the hood of the truck on a cold morning. Seems a neighborhood cat had slept inside my engine compartment and didn't wake until I started the engine. Nine lives in one crank!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot