Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best password

The best password

I was thinking about a problem with creating the best password. I know it should be a combination of upper/lowercase letters, digits and non-alphabetic characters. Another approach is to pick a favorite sentence (i.e I love Big Mac and Fries), take the first letter of each word (I, l, B, M, a, F) and make up a word of them (ilbmaf) maybe alternating an uppercase and a lowercase letter and ending it with a digit (IlBmAf4). The problem with this approach is in the case the user is using multiple password-accessed applications ( maybe couple email services, few pay-for-content websites, some network-accessible resources) and it adds up to a lot of passwords to remember knowing that it's not wise to use the same password twice and for long periods of time, nor is it smart to write it down. How can a user remember multiple hard-to-guess passwords and which passwords are used to access what resources?
    I just want to hear your opinion.
    Thanks
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein

Remembering passwords is kinda like studying for a test, I use flash cards whenever i renew all my passwords, i always use this nifty program to keep track of all my passwords and when to change them, its called Password Corral, it can be found Here

Thanks for the link. But I disagree on writing passwords on flash cards, mostly because unless you shred them, malicious people can still get to them ( dumpster diving?).
    Albert Einstein

Check this site out. http://mmdev.ag.vt.edu/security/securepw.htm
    Their are some good ideas on how to create a secure password.
    \"Trying to outsmart a compiler defeats much of the purpose of using one.\" — Kernighan & Plauger, The Elements of Programming Style.

I agree with vercetti on the flash cards.

I personally keep my passwords on a txt file on a floppy full of directories and junk text files.
    I name it readme (most people automatically ignore these anyway).
    It's a relatively safe approach,

I can encrypt if I want
    I don't have to remember my passwords so they can be as complex as I want
    (ctrl-x & ctrl-v) and they're keylogger proof too!
    It's portable
    You can even save some trees

It's just not safe from shoulder surfers.

A decent solution for these password laden times.

Hope you empty that clipboard after cut'n pasting your passwords...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Good point, especially on another computer. You can also highlight and drag in most cases.

I also use a program called Password Safe. This program is very usefull if your like me and once u change one password you have to change them all right... So u know ihave about 20 differnet appliactions that i need passwords w/ so u know i kinda need htis program. Ill attach this program to my post give it a try if you like.

alt+32 and alt+255 are characters that windows cant recognize. i use them
    -Simo

Simo, Do you know why doesn't Win recognize those characters?
    Albert Einstein